What are the disadvantages to a wide angle lense?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 19, 2005 5:31:04 AM

Lots of the cameras I'm looking at use a wide angle lense. I figure this is
better, similar to how I prefer widescreen movies. But what are
disadvantages to choosing wideangle?
June 19, 2005 5:31:05 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:31:04 GMT, "Dirty Redpool"
<dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote:

>Lots of the cameras I'm looking at use a wide angle lense. I figure this is
>better, similar to how I prefer widescreen movies. But what are
>disadvantages to choosing wideangle?

"Fish Eye" effect especially around the edge of the image.
June 19, 2005 5:18:42 PM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:31:04 GMT, "Dirty Redpool" wrote:

>Lots of the cameras I'm looking at use a wide angle lense. I figure this is
>better, similar to how I prefer widescreen movies. But what are
>disadvantages to choosing wideangle?

If you look at the comparison of (effective) focal lengths at
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/focallen...
you will notice how the wider 28mm captures more than 35mm, which is
usefull if shooting inside or landscapes.

On the negative side a wider angle will make things in the middle of
the picture appear bigger and is more likely to have image defects;
like curved /straight/ lines in the picture edges.
Related resources
June 19, 2005 5:18:43 PM

"Rolf Egil Sølvik" <rolfegil@c2i.net> wrote in message
| On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:31:04 GMT, "Dirty Redpool" wrote:
|
| >Lots of the cameras I'm looking at use a wide angle lense. I figure this
is
| >better, similar to how I prefer widescreen movies. But what are
| >disadvantages to choosing wideangle?
|
| If you look at the comparison of (effective) focal lengths at
| http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/focallen...
| you will notice how the wider 28mm captures more than 35mm, which is
| usefull if shooting inside or landscapes.
|
| On the negative side a wider angle will make things in the middle of
| the picture appear bigger and is more likely to have image defects;
| like curved /straight/ lines in the picture edges.

This is called 'barrel distortion' and is quite common. Only the most
expensive lenses don't have this to any noticeable degree. The wider angle
the lens, the stronger distortion you are likely to get. However, most
photofinishing programmes - PSP, Photoshop etc have the ability to correct
this, so if it bothers you it can be sorted out and removed almost totally.

HTH

AGOL
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:29:22 AM

Rolf Egil Sølvik wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:31:04 GMT, "Dirty Redpool" wrote:
>
>> Lots of the cameras I'm looking at use a wide angle lense. I figure
>> this is better, similar to how I prefer widescreen movies. But what
>> are disadvantages to choosing wideangle?
>
> If you look at the comparison of (effective) focal lengths at
> http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/focallen...
> you will notice how the wider 28mm captures more than 35mm, which is
> usefull if shooting inside or landscapes.
>
> On the negative side a wider angle will make things in the middle of
> the picture appear bigger and is more likely to have image defects;
> like curved /straight/ lines in the picture edges.

Thanks for that link, pretty neat to see the differences.

June 20, 2005 8:29:23 AM

AGOL wrote:
> "Rolf Egil Sølvik" <rolfegil@c2i.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:31:04 GMT, "Dirty Redpool" wrote:
>>
>>> Lots of the cameras I'm looking at use a wide angle lense. I figure
>>> this is better, similar to how I prefer widescreen movies. But what
>>> are disadvantages to choosing wideangle?
>>
>> If you look at the comparison of (effective) focal lengths at
>> http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/focallen...
>> you will notice how the wider 28mm captures more than 35mm, which is
>> usefull if shooting inside or landscapes.
>>
>> On the negative side a wider angle will make things in the middle of
>> the picture appear bigger and is more likely to have image defects;
>> like curved /straight/ lines in the picture edges.
>

> This is called 'barrel distortion' and is quite common. Only the most
> expensive lenses don't have this to any noticeable degree. The wider
> angle the lens, the stronger distortion you are likely to get.
> However, most photofinishing programmes - PSP, Photoshop etc have the
> ability to correct this, so if it bothers you it can be sorted out
> and removed almost totally.
>
> HTH
>
> AGOL

Thanks for the info. I have PSP and have noticed the barrel distortion
filter but couldn't think of a time where I'd find it useful for a photo.
Now I understand :)

--
June 20, 2005 2:56:49 PM

"Dirty Redpool" <dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote in message
news:D Crte.41149$El.4052@pd7tw1no...
| AGOL wrote:
| > "Rolf Egil Sølvik" <rolfegil@c2i.net> wrote in message

| >> If you look at the comparison of (effective) focal lengths at
| >> http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/focallen...
| >> you will notice how the wider 28mm captures more than 35mm, which is
| >> usefull if shooting inside or landscapes.
| >>
| >> On the negative side a wider angle will make things in the middle of
| >> the picture appear bigger and is more likely to have image defects;
| >> like curved /straight/ lines in the picture edges.
| >

| > This is called 'barrel distortion' and is quite common. Only the most
| > expensive lenses don't have this to any noticeable degree. The wider
| > angle the lens, the stronger distortion you are likely to get.
| > However, most photofinishing programmes - PSP, Photoshop etc have the
| > ability to correct this, so if it bothers you it can be sorted out
| > and removed almost totally.
| >
| > HTH
| >
| > AGOL
|
| Thanks for the info. I have PSP and have noticed the barrel distortion
| filter but couldn't think of a time where I'd find it useful for a photo.
| Now I understand :)

Glad to have helped.

AGOL

!