Windows not recognizing camera when using firewire

Hello,

I've been video editing for two years with Windows and my camcorder,
but today my Windows XP (sp2) stopped recognizing my Sony DCR-TRV25
when using my 1394 Firewire cable. It has always been plug and play
until today. I even went out and bought a new firewire cable, but that
didn't help. Windows still automatically recognizes the camcorder when
I use a USB cable, but I need the firewire connection to work. Any
suggestions? Please help!

Nope. Card is working fine. I have firewire on the motherboard, too,
and it doesn't work there, either. I also have a spare firewire card
and it didn't work after I swapped it out either.

Does anyone else have any advice?

nap wrote:
> well.. it sounds like a zapped FW card.
> "Tookeey" <tookeey@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been video editing for two years with Windows and my
camcorder,
> > but today my Windows XP (sp2) stopped recognizing my Sony DCR-TRV25
> > when using my 1394 Firewire cable. It has always been plug and
play
> > until today. I even went out and bought a new firewire cable, but
that
> > didn't help. Windows still automatically recognizes the camcorder
when
> > I use a USB cable, but I need the firewire connection to work. Any
> > suggestions? Please help!

well.. it sounds like a zapped FW card.
"Tookeey" <tookeey@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've been video editing for two years with Windows and my camcorder,
> but today my Windows XP (sp2) stopped recognizing my Sony DCR-TRV25
> when using my 1394 Firewire cable. It has always been plug and play
> until today. I even went out and bought a new firewire cable, but that
> didn't help. Windows still automatically recognizes the camcorder when
> I use a USB cable, but I need the firewire connection to work. Any
> suggestions? Please help!

I know the camera's firewire port is good because the camera connection
works fine on my buddy's computer. I'm thinking this is a Windows
problem and was looking for help in that area. Please don't next ask
me if I tried turning the camera on.

>I know the camera's firewire port is good because the camera connection
> works fine on my buddy's computer. I'm thinking this is a Windows
> problem and was looking for help in that area. Please don't next ask
> me if I tried turning the camera on.
>
> nap wrote:
>> then it is possible your camera's FW connection is bad. If both of
> your
>> ports are actually fine, which I presume you tested with another
> firewire
>> device, then your camera's FW port may be bad.
>>
>> Process of elimination.

Don't be a schmuck when someone is trying to help you. If you are frustrated
that's your problem. Debug it yourself.

Process of elimination.

and make sure the camera is on.

rs

Then its a zapped FW connection on the camera. They can and do flake out.

"Tookeey" <tookeey@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Nope. Card is working fine. I have firewire on the motherboard, too,
> and it doesn't work there, either. I also have a spare firewire card
> and it didn't work after I swapped it out either.
>
> Does anyone else have any advice?
>
> nap wrote:
> > well.. it sounds like a zapped FW card.
> > "Tookeey" <tookeey@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've been video editing for two years with Windows and my
> camcorder,
> > > but today my Windows XP (sp2) stopped recognizing my Sony DCR-TRV25
> > > when using my 1394 Firewire cable. It has always been plug and
> play
> > > until today. I even went out and bought a new firewire cable, but
> that
> > > didn't help. Windows still automatically recognizes the camcorder
> when
> > > I use a USB cable, but I need the firewire connection to work. Any
> > > suggestions? Please help!

rs

Its necessary to ask the obvious questions if you don't take the time to
indicate in your first post what steps you have taken so far.

For example, additional questions that come to mind.

1. Have to tried having the camera on when you start the pc.
2. Its not mentioned if you have the camer on when you fire up your capture
program or whether you start the program then fire up the camera. Some are
picky.
3. How are you sure the FW on the computer is working? Have you verified
other devices?
4. You have FW card and FW on board. If one goes bad, perhaps it affects the
other. Pull board, try again

This is the kind of problem that happens to many of us and I can assure you
there is no. "Oh, yeah, do XXX and everything will be fine" It is an
annoying process of elimiation.

(What is it with people today? They can follow a process, but they can't
solve a problem.)