Scratch removal

I've got some deteriorated VHS footage I'd like to restore; there are
tons of horizontal drop-outs (black or white lines), maybe one a second
or so, over four hours of footage. Something like Adobe Photoshop's
Dust and Scratch Removal filter, applied to whole clips or a
timeline... Is there an easy way to do this in Final Cut Pro that I'm
missing, a plug-in I should purchase, or ...?

I also have a PC with Premiere 5.1 I can dust off if necessary, but I'd
prefer to use my Mac. The footage is in DV format, after being
translated into DV by a Canon Optura, via S-Video from a Panasonic
AG-series SVHS deck, freshly serviced; the footage is what it is, now
I'd like to fix it.

Thanks!

The dust and scratch filter is only going to do superficial removals, etc.
It will not restore the video to any level of original quality. In truth you
probably won't even see a difference at all. The problem is there is missing
picture information and there is no software anywhere that can replace or
repair that.

<ojailoop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've got some deteriorated VHS footage I'd like to restore; there are
> tons of horizontal drop-outs (black or white lines), maybe one a second
> or so, over four hours of footage. Something like Adobe Photoshop's
> Dust and Scratch Removal filter, applied to whole clips or a
> timeline... Is there an easy way to do this in Final Cut Pro that I'm
> missing, a plug-in I should purchase, or ...?
>
> I also have a PC with Premiere 5.1 I can dust off if necessary, but I'd
> prefer to use my Mac. The footage is in DV format, after being
> translated into DV by a Canon Optura, via S-Video from a Panasonic
> AG-series SVHS deck, freshly serviced; the footage is what it is, now
> I'd like to fix it.
>
> Thanks!

Play it on a deck with an internal TBC capable of dropout compensation like
the JVC BRS-822 or 522 or 525. Or play it through a TBC with this feature.

But don't expect a miracle.

<ojailoop@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've got some deteriorated VHS footage I'd like to restore; there are
> tons of horizontal drop-outs (black or white lines), maybe one a second
> or so, over four hours of footage. Something like Adobe Photoshop's
> Dust and Scratch Removal filter, applied to whole clips or a
> timeline... Is there an easy way to do this in Final Cut Pro that I'm
> missing, a plug-in I should purchase, or ...?
>
> I also have a PC with Premiere 5.1 I can dust off if necessary, but I'd
> prefer to use my Mac. The footage is in DV format, after being
> translated into DV by a Canon Optura, via S-Video from a Panasonic
> AG-series SVHS deck, freshly serviced; the footage is what it is, now
> I'd like to fix it.
>
> Thanks!

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

ojailoop@yahoo.com wrote:

>I've got some deteriorated VHS footage I'd like to restore; there are
>tons of horizontal drop-outs (black or white lines), maybe one a second
>or so, over four hours of footage. Something like Adobe Photoshop's
>Dust and Scratch Removal filter, applied to whole clips or a
>timeline... Is there an easy way to do this in Final Cut Pro that I'm
>missing, a plug-in I should purchase, or ...?
>
>I also have a PC with Premiere 5.1 I can dust off if necessary, but I'd
>prefer to use my Mac. The footage is in DV format, after being
>translated into DV by a Canon Optura, via S-Video from a Panasonic
>AG-series SVHS deck, freshly serviced; the footage is what it is, now
>I'd like to fix it.
>
>Thanks!

You need to analyze the video on the computer to find out what can be
done.
If the lines are occurring on a single frame every second or so then
you could remove the frame that has the line of it. At 25 frames per
second in PAL (or 29 FPS in NTSC) you may not notice a missing frame
every second. There may be a slight jump if there is rapid movement in
the video. It's a long process but if your video is valuable then it
would be worth the time and effect.

Regards Brian