HELP: Flashing Pioneer DVR-104

I checked my current firmware and it reads:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104
Current Revision : 1.31
Release Date : 02/06/20
Model : Pioneer or Generic 3rd party model
Serial Number : BFDC057375WL

This firmware is not the latest version.
The firmware needs to be updated.

I got the "newest" firmware at:
http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/#PIONEER_IDE

The reason I want to upgrade is because the new version is supposed to
support high speed media (I bought 50 8x DVD-Rs by accident, and I'd
like to use them)

I tried installing the new firmware with a bootable disk, but it says
that the product is not compatible...

what's wrong here? do I have to downgrade or anything?
I really don't have experience flashing hardware, I did it once before
to get the RCP-1 (multi-region patch) but that's it.

Please help
thanks in advance.

I believe the problem is that the 104 is an OEM version of the A04.
They are identical, except for the firmware. The manufacturer of your
computer should supply the update firmware. I had similar problem with
a Sony VAIO computer with the same drive DVR-104. I downloaded the
update driver from Pioneer for the DVR-A04. The Pioneer software
detected my drive was an OEM version and refused to update the drive.

Alan Estrada wrote:
> I checked my current firmware and it reads:

> PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104
> Current Revision : 1.31
> Release Date : 02/06/20
> Model : Pioneer or Generic 3rd party model
> Serial Number : BFDC057375WL
>
> This firmware is not the latest version.
> The firmware needs to be updated.
>
> I got the "newest" firmware at:
> http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/#PIONEER_IDE
>
> The reason I want to upgrade is because the new version is supposed
> support high speed media (I bought 50 8x DVD-Rs by accident, and I'd
> like to use them)
>
> I tried installing the new firmware with a bootable disk, but it says
> that the product is not compatible...
>
> what's wrong here? do I have to downgrade or anything?
> I really don't have experience flashing hardware, I did it once
before
> to get the RCP-1 (multi-region patch) but that's it.
>
> Please help
> thanks in advance.

Flashing the firmware of this drive is not done using bootable floppy. You
update the firmware by running the updater within Windows. I personally
would only use updaters from the manufacturer of any product. Here is the
Pioneer download page for firmware updates:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4273_128163990,00.html