Ping speeds

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me on a question. Basically, I'm on a
576kbps connection at the moment but for financial reason need to cut down.
At present
my ping is around the 40 mark, but if I go down to 150kb what effect will
this have on my ping and is the game still playable?

Thx for any help,

Alex
10 answers Last reply
More about ping speeds

    Are you changing from cable to ISDN ? Or DSL to double-line dial-up ? Or ???

    With dial-up your ping may go over 300 , which is pretty much unplayable.
    With ISDN it shouldn't go much over 200 for local servers, and 200 is
    playable but not - so - great .

    Limnophile

    "Alex" <sartois99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone could help me on a question. Basically, I'm on
    > 576kbps connection at the moment but for financial reason need to cut
    down.
    > At present
    > my ping is around the 40 mark, but if I go down to 150kb what effect will
    > this have on my ping and is the game still playable?
    >
    > Thx for any help,
    >
    > Alex

    > Are you changing from cable to ISDN ? Or DSL to double-line dial-up ? Or
    ???

    > With dial-up your ping may go over 300 , which is pretty much unplayable.
    > With ISDN it shouldn't go much over 200 for local servers, and 200 is
    > playable but not - so - great .

    Hi,

    Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm on ADSL (576 KB) atm, and I
    might be changing to cable at 150KB.
    Though I think there might also be a 300 KB cable option.

    Thx,

    Alex

    In article <camt2e$q9l$1@titan.btinternet.com>, sartois99@hotmail.com
    says...
    > > Are you changing from cable to ISDN ? Or DSL to double-line dial-up ? Or
    > ???
    > >
    > > With dial-up your ping may go over 300 , which is pretty much unplayable.
    > > With ISDN it shouldn't go much over 200 for local servers, and 200 is
    > > playable but not - so - great .
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm on ADSL (576 KB) atm, and I
    > might be changing to cable at 150KB.
    > Though I think there might also be a 300 KB cable option.

    Cable, at least in all the places I've been provides the following:

    At least 2,000k BITS/sec downstream - to your computer
    At least 128k BITS/sec upstream - from your computer to net

    A lot of cable providers are doing 2Mbps/384Kbps. Some of the good ones
    are doing 3Mbps or 4Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > Cable, at least in all the places I've been provides the following:
    >
    > At least 2,000k BITS/sec downstream - to your computer
    > At least 128k BITS/sec upstream - from your computer to net
    >
    > A lot of cable providers are doing 2Mbps/384Kbps. Some of the good ones
    > are doing 3Mbps or 4Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

    lol
    it'd be nice if i had the money
    :)

    any idea how 150Kbps affects game pings?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > > Cable, at least in all the places I've been provides the
    following:

    > > At least 2,000k BITS/sec downstream - to your computer
    > > At least 128k BITS/sec upstream - from your computer to net
    > >
    > > A lot of cable providers are doing 2Mbps/384Kbps. Some of the good
    ones
    > > are doing 3Mbps or 4Mbps down and 1Mbps up.
    > >

    > lol
    > it'd be nice if i had the money
    > :)
    >

    > any idea how 150Kbps affects game pings?

    Bandwidth has nothing at all to do with ping (well not much anyway)

    Latency is determined by the quality of the connection and the
    proximity to the server.
    Analogue connections such as 56k modem will give pings from 100ms up
    to 5000ms +.
    Digital uncontended connections such as ISDN and Leased Lines give
    pings typically below 60ms (my own ISDN line @ 64k runs around 40-50ms
    to local UK servers)
    Contended digital connections are a little more tricky as you share
    your bandwidth with others but ADSL of any speed should never have a
    ping below 100ms (assuming the server has enough bandwidth and CPU
    power) and typically hover around 50ms. Cable tends to be a little
    more stable and a little better. A friend of mine who lives in a
    cabled area in the UK gets 30-40 ms with a 256k connection and 150k
    should be around the same.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "I like toys and cake" <somegeexer@aplace.aa> wrote in message

    >ADSL of any speed should never have a ping below 100ms

    I did mean above!!!
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    I have ADSL , and my ping is usually around 140-180. Not terrible, but it
    could be much better.

    Limnophile

    > "I like toys and cake" <somegeexer@aplace.aa> wrote in message
    >
    > >ADSL of any speed should never have a ping below 100ms
    >
    > I did mean above!!!

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > Bandwidth has nothing at all to do with ping (well not much anyway)
    >
    > Latency is determined by the quality of the connection and the
    > proximity to the server.
    > Analogue connections such as 56k modem will give pings from 100ms up
    > to 5000ms +.
    > Digital uncontended connections such as ISDN and Leased Lines give
    > pings typically below 60ms (my own ISDN line @ 64k runs around 40-50ms
    > to local UK servers)
    > Contended digital connections are a little more tricky as you share
    > your bandwidth with others but ADSL of any speed should never have a
    > ping below 100ms (assuming the server has enough bandwidth and CPU
    > power) and typically hover around 50ms. Cable tends to be a little
    > more stable and a little better. A friend of mine who lives in a
    > cabled area in the UK gets 30-40 ms with a 256k connection and 150k
    > should be around the same.

    Ok, thx for all that info.
    I've just started getting lag spikes as well, so the change may sooner than
    expected
    :)

    Alex
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Limnophile" <Limnophile@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I have ADSL , and my ping is usually around 140-180. Not terrible,
    but it
    > could be much better.

    I think you need to sort out your rates or play on closer servers I
    would not settle for a ping over 100ms even with my ISDN line.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Limnophile" <Limnophile@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I have ADSL , and my ping is usually around 140-180. Not terrible, but it
    > could be much better.
    >
    > Limnophile

    Rate 20000 in console should sort you out. If you are playing 1.5 or if the
    command is unchanged in 1.6.

Connection Games Video Games