How to connect to remote network

Is it possible for a laptop (running Win XP Home), to connect to a PC (Win XP
Home) using dial-up connections. The PC is connected to cable internet via a
router, and i want to be able to access the internet remotely using a phone
line.

I have tried setting the PC to accept Incomming connections but on dial-up,
they begin to connect and then fail.

Can nay one tell me if this is possible or if there is a guide anywhere on
the internet.

Thank you in advance.

What error do you get when it fails?
---