Printer

I am remotely connecting to a computer(xp pro) thru a VPN connection at work.
The OS that I have at home is xp home. This setup works great but when I am
in the remote desktop session I can't use my local printer from the remote
desktop connection. Is it possible to be connected remotely and still get
your local printer to function?
2 answers Last reply
More about printer

    yes it is the driver for the local printer has to be installed on remote
    computer, and set your loacl printer to share.

    "zbell" <zbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am remotely connecting to a computer(xp pro) thru a VPN connection at
    >work.
    > The OS that I have at home is xp home. This setup works great but when I
    > am
    > in the remote desktop session I can't use my local printer from the remote
    > desktop connection. Is it possible to be connected remotely and still get
    > your local printer to function?

    What you are saying is that the driver for printer at my house has to be
    installed on the computer at work. If this is correct then I still have a
    problem. When I am at home and trying to follow your advice is says "Printer
    is not attached to a local port". It seems to insist that I have the printer
    from home attached to the computer at work. I want to be able to print on my
    printer at home from the remote connection at work. Have you seen this before
    or am I trying to do the impossible? Any help would make myself and a couple
    of my users very happy.

    "UncleFrank" wrote:

    > yes it is the driver for the local printer has to be installed on remote
    > computer, and set your loacl printer to share.
    >
    > "zbell" <zbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am remotely connecting to a computer(xp pro) thru a VPN connection at
    > >work.
    > > The OS that I have at home is xp home. This setup works great but when I
    > > am
    > > in the remote desktop session I can't use my local printer from the remote
    > > desktop connection. Is it possible to be connected remotely and still get
    > > your local printer to function?

Connection Printers Windows XP