Remote desktop only seeing internal ip range

I think I know the answer, but here goes.
My domain at work is on the 10.0.0... ip range
I have a client I am trying to remote desktop to... His domain is also on
the 10.0.0...
ip range. When I try to connect I error out.
I assume this is because both our domains have the same ip range and
therefore
The remote desktop connection has no way of knowing that I wan't it to look
at his domain and not mine.
BTW I can connect from home no problem so I know the setup is working.
Thanks

LJA wrote:
> I think I know the answer, but here goes.
> My domain at work is on the 10.0.0... ip range
> I have a client I am trying to remote desktop to... His domain is
> also on the 10.0.0...
> ip range. When I try to connect I error out.
> I assume this is because both our domains have the same ip range and
> therefore
> The remote desktop connection has no way of knowing that I wan't it
> to look at his domain and not mine.
> BTW I can connect from home no problem so I know the setup is working.

Realize that a 10.x.x.x IP is a PRIVATE IP range. 192.168.x.x is also.

What this means is that hundreds, thousands, millions of people may have the
same IP as you if you have one of these 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x IPs. You
MUST (if you are not on the same physical network) have the external IP for
the machine in question and you must have the means to pass the port request
made to the public IP to the private IP address you are trying to get to
(port forwarding.)

This will be different for each router and may/may not be possible depending
on what type of access you HAVE to each router.

--
<- Shenan ->

LJA wrote:
> I think I know the answer, but here goes.
> My domain at work is on the 10.0.0... ip range
> I have a client I am trying to remote desktop to... His domain is
> also on the 10.0.0...
> ip range. When I try to connect I error out.

How are you trying to connect? What IP address are you connecting to in your
RD client? From the Internet,, you should should specify the public
IP/hostname for their network (however it's mapped through their
firewall/router so the traffic gets to the host computer in question on
their LAN)

> I assume this is because both our domains have the same ip range and
> therefore
> The remote desktop connection has no way of knowing that I wan't it
> to look at his domain and not mine.

Well, this is very true for VPN. But when you're doing remote desktop, it
shouldn't make a difference, because you connect using the public IP or
hostname and then do everything within the RD session, which doesn't touch
your LAN at all. Are you using VPN? If so, you would need to change the IP
scheme on your 'client' network to use something else - 10.0.1.0 or
whatever.

That said, you don't actually need to use VPN to use remote desktop over the
Internet, but a lot of people like it for the added security.