Redirection of Offline Files Folder

Greetings,

For performing backups, I would like to put these on separate
partitions: the

WinXP Tablet OS (SP2),
My Documents, and the
Offline Files Folder. (The Offline Files are backed up as part of my
desktop PC.)

On the tablet under Help and Support I read the following:
-----------
To redirect special folders to a specific path

Open a Group Policy object that is linked to the site, domain, or
organizational unit that contains the users whose special folders you
want to redirect.

In the console tree, double-click Folder Redirection to display the
special folder that you want to redirect.
Where?

'policy name' Policy
User Configuration
Windows Settings
Folder Redirection
-------------

So, I run gpedit.msc and see Local Computer Policy, User Configuration,
and Windows Settings, but under that I find no "Folder Redirection."
Can you help?

Thanks,
Teffy
4 answers Last reply
More about redirection offline files folder

    There's a tool to do this included in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit. I
    don't know how to do it with Group policy--yours is the first mention that
    I've seen of that.

    The RK kit is not downloadable, I'm afraid.

    "Teffy" <WGSGNUAYHTTE@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > For performing backups, I would like to put these on separate
    > partitions: the
    >
    > WinXP Tablet OS (SP2),
    > My Documents, and the
    > Offline Files Folder. (The Offline Files are backed up as part of my
    > desktop PC.)
    >
    > On the tablet under Help and Support I read the following:
    > -----------
    > To redirect special folders to a specific path
    >
    > Open a Group Policy object that is linked to the site, domain, or
    > organizational unit that contains the users whose special folders you
    > want to redirect.
    >
    > In the console tree, double-click Folder Redirection to display the
    > special folder that you want to redirect.
    > Where?
    >
    > 'policy name' Policy
    > User Configuration
    > Windows Settings
    > Folder Redirection
    > -------------
    >
    > So, I run gpedit.msc and see Local Computer Policy, User Configuration,
    > and Windows Settings, but under that I find no "Folder Redirection."
    > Can you help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Teffy

    Nope, but the tool in question can be found in google... :)
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:11:13 -0500, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >There's a tool to do this included in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit. I
    >don't know how to do it with Group policy--yours is the first mention that
    >I've seen of that.
    >
    >The RK kit is not downloadable, I'm afraid.
    >
    >"Teffy" <WGSGNUAYHTTE@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> For performing backups, I would like to put these on separate
    >> partitions: the
    >>
    >> WinXP Tablet OS (SP2),
    >> My Documents, and the
    >> Offline Files Folder. (The Offline Files are backed up as part of my
    >> desktop PC.)
    >>
    >> On the tablet under Help and Support I read the following:
    >> -----------
    >> To redirect special folders to a specific path
    >>
    >> Open a Group Policy object that is linked to the site, domain, or
    >> organizational unit that contains the users whose special folders you
    >> want to redirect.
    >>
    >> In the console tree, double-click Folder Redirection to display the
    >> special folder that you want to redirect.
    >> Where?
    >>
    >> 'policy name' Policy
    >> User Configuration
    >> Windows Settings
    >> Folder Redirection
    >> -------------
    >>
    >> So, I run gpedit.msc and see Local Computer Policy, User Configuration,
    >> and Windows Settings, but under that I find no "Folder Redirection."
    >> Can you help?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Teffy

    Thanks to both for the help. Here's what I did:

    I downloaded cachemov.exe from
    http://www.petri.co.il/download_free_reskit_tools.htm and ran it. At
    one point I got this error message: "Failed to move offline files
    cache." The file complained about was encrypted - that may be
    coincidence.

    So, I opened the offline files folder, chose tools menu, folder
    options, and the offline files tab. I hit control shift "delete
    files" button to delete all the offline files.

    I ran cachemov.exe again. The offline files folder (now empty) was
    moved to the selected partition, and I synchronized the offline
    files to copy them from the "server" (my desktop PC). Then I enabled
    encryption of offline files.

    Problem solved!

    Teffy

    Thanks - that's a lovely step-by-step for future readers with the same
    issue!

    > Thanks to both for the help. Here's what I did:
    >
    > I downloaded cachemov.exe from
    > http://www.petri.co.il/download_free_reskit_tools.htm and ran it. At
    > one point I got this error message: "Failed to move offline files
    > cache." The file complained about was encrypted - that may be
    > coincidence.
    >
    > So, I opened the offline files folder, chose tools menu, folder
    > options, and the offline files tab. I hit control shift "delete
    > files" button to delete all the offline files.
    >
    > I ran cachemov.exe again. The offline files folder (now empty) was
    > moved to the selected partition, and I synchronized the offline
    > files to copy them from the "server" (my desktop PC). Then I enabled
    > encryption of offline files.
    >
    > Problem solved!
    >
    > Teffy

Windows XP