Can anyone compare XP Pro Remote with Gotomypc or PCAnywhe..

as far as reliability, ease of use, speed etc? I'm still XP home on both
desktop and laptop, looking at alternatives to make desktop a host while
traveling.

(thanks for the answers to my prior reboot question, answers very helpfull!)

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Assuming that your interest is mainly basic file access, XP Pro's Remote
desktop hosting is fairly similar to using PC Anywhere in basic
functionality. PC Anywhere has a few more bells and whistles and can be
used with all recent versions of Windows.
GotoMyPC is functionally similar as well. It's advantages are the fact that
it works through Port 80 (simplifying firewall and port forwarding issues)
and has built in functionality for handling dynamic IP addresses. It's
biggest drawback is that it is a fairly expensive service and not a great
value for occasional travel.
--

"Ray Williams" <RayWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> as far as reliability, ease of use, speed etc? I'm still XP home on both
> desktop and laptop, looking at alternatives to make desktop a host while
> traveling.
>

> (thanks for the answers to my prior reboot question, answers very
> helpfull!)

Thanks for responding.

'Assuming that your interest is mainly basic file access'

my main interest, is to be able to run an application at the home desktop
(trading application) that requires constant/uninterrupted internet access.
I want to be able to monitor/control the process from a laptop remote. This
way, I can do what I need to do, with only periodic connection from the
laptop with a cellular modem
(I still have the ability to kill the desktop connection at the broker, and
override if I am unable to connect to the desktop, but the less that's
necessary, the better)

In article <O80844H4EHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, GTS <x> wrote:
>Assuming that your interest is mainly basic file access, XP Pro's Remote
>desktop hosting is fairly similar to using PC Anywhere in basic
>functionality. PC Anywhere has a few more bells and whistles and can be
>used with all recent versions of Windows.
>GotoMyPC is functionally similar as well. It's advantages are the fact that
>it works through Port 80 (simplifying firewall and port forwarding issues)
>and has built in functionality for handling dynamic IP addresses. It's
>biggest drawback is that it is a fairly expensive service and not a great
>value for occasional travel.
>--
>
>"Ray Williams" <RayWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> as far as reliability, ease of use, speed etc? I'm still XP home on both
>> desktop and laptop, looking at alternatives to make desktop a host while
>> traveling.
>>

>> (thanks for the answers to my prior reboot question, answers very
>> helpfull!)

GoToMyPC works when computers at both ends are behind NAT boxes. You,
or I might be able to set up an alternative at no cost, but millions
of people can't. GoToMyPC provides a good service to those people.

goToMyPC is more secure than a no-cost solution set up incorrectly.
I'm sure that some serious security people have vetted the
service and found it acceptable.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
----

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

All 3 options will work for that purpose.

--

> Thanks for responding.
>
> 'Assuming that your interest is mainly basic file access'
>
> my main interest, is to be able to run an application at the home desktop
> (trading application) that requires constant/uninterrupted internet
> access.
> I want to be able to monitor/control the process from a laptop remote.
> This
> way, I can do what I need to do, with only periodic connection from the
> laptop with a cellular modem
> (I still have the ability to kill the desktop connection at the broker,
> and
> override if I am unable to connect to the desktop, but the less that's
> necessary, the better)
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
>> Assuming that your interest is mainly basic file access, XP Pro's Remote
>> desktop hosting is fairly similar to using PC Anywhere in basic
>> functionality. PC Anywhere has a few more bells and whistles and can be
>> used with all recent versions of Windows.
>> GotoMyPC is functionally similar as well. It's advantages are the fact
>> that
>> it works through Port 80 (simplifying firewall and port forwarding
>> issues)
>> and has built in functionality for handling dynamic IP addresses. It's
>> biggest drawback is that it is a fairly expensive service and not a great
>> value for occasional travel.
>> --
>>
>> "Ray Williams" <RayWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > as far as reliability, ease of use, speed etc? I'm still XP home on
>> > both
>> > desktop and laptop, looking at alternatives to make desktop a host
>> > while
>> > traveling.
>> >

>> > (thanks for the answers to my prior reboot question, answers very
>> > helpfull!)

Thanks, so you think speed, reliability and security are comperable among the
3 for that purpose?

"GTS" wrote:

> All 3 options will work for that purpose.
>
> --
>
> "Ray Williams" <RayWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for responding.
> >
> > 'Assuming that your interest is mainly basic file access'
> >
> > my main interest, is to be able to run an application at the home desktop
> > (trading application) that requires constant/uninterrupted internet
> > access.
> > I want to be able to monitor/control the process from a laptop remote.
> > This
> > way, I can do what I need to do, with only periodic connection from the
> > laptop with a cellular modem
> > (I still have the ability to kill the desktop connection at the broker,
> > and
> > override if I am unable to connect to the desktop, but the less that's
> > necessary, the better)
> >
> > "GTS" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming that your interest is mainly basic file access, XP Pro's Remote
> >> desktop hosting is fairly similar to using PC Anywhere in basic
> >> functionality. PC Anywhere has a few more bells and whistles and can be
> >> used with all recent versions of Windows.
> >> GotoMyPC is functionally similar as well. It's advantages are the fact
> >> that
> >> it works through Port 80 (simplifying firewall and port forwarding
> >> issues)
> >> and has built in functionality for handling dynamic IP addresses. It's
> >> biggest drawback is that it is a fairly expensive service and not a great
> >> value for occasional travel.
> >> --
> >>
> >> "Ray Williams" <RayWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

> In article <O80844H4EHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, GTS <x> wrote:
>>Assuming that your interest is mainly basic file access, XP Pro's Remote
>>desktop hosting is fairly similar to using PC Anywhere in basic
>>functionality. PC Anywhere has a few more bells and whistles and can be
>>used with all recent versions of Windows.
>>GotoMyPC is functionally similar as well. It's advantages are the fact
>>that
>>it works through Port 80 (simplifying firewall and port forwarding issues)
>>and has built in functionality for handling dynamic IP addresses. It's
>>biggest drawback is that it is a fairly expensive service and not a great
>>value for occasional travel.
>>--
>>
>>"Ray Williams" <RayWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> as far as reliability, ease of use, speed etc? I'm still XP home on
>>> both
>>> desktop and laptop, looking at alternatives to make desktop a host while
>>> traveling.
>>>

>>> (thanks for the answers to my prior reboot question, answers very
>>> helpfull!)
>>

> GoToMyPC works when computers at both ends are behind NAT boxes. You,
> or I might be able to set up an alternative at no cost, but millions
> of people can't. GoToMyPC provides a good service to those people.
>
> goToMyPC is more secure than a no-cost solution set up incorrectly.
> I'm sure that some serious security people have vetted the
> service and found it acceptable.
>
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
> ----

In other words (as I said) "advantages are the fact that it works through