firewire connection questions

Tim

I would like to ask others on this group about firewire connections on
cameras and vcr decks that don't work. How often do they fail or get
zapped? What might cause them to fail? I worry that the cheap firewire
cards that PCs use could cause a problem with expensive decks and cameras.
When capturing dv tape as avi files to a PC, does it matter what kind of
camera plays the tape via firewire to the PC? Would it be best to just get a
cheap DV camera for the job in case the PC zaps the firewire connection and
save the expensive camera?

Tim

Hello, Tim,

> How often do they fail or get
> zapped? What might cause them to fail?

I have experienced just two FireWire fails - fortunately, it was not me
who was touched. It were my friends.
One friend had problem (all of the sudden) with camcorder DV socket - it
got broken. How? When? Why? These questions remain not answered till now.
Anyway, it was mechanical problem and the socket was replaced.

The next one knows very well why and when his camcorder DV interface
has gone.
He connected his TV set, camcorder and PC all together.
He just noticed a spark when FireWire cable was to plug in and despite
the fact the camcorders worked fine seemingly, DV interface was out of
order.
The problem was in electricity grounding (especially antenna cord).
Anyway, the camcorder circuitry board was replaced.

> I worry that the cheap firewire
> cards that PCs use could cause a problem with expensive decks and cameras.

Both reasons FireWire fails as I described above came from the outside.
Personally, I have never heard FireWire stopped working because of an
internal problem of the interface or the PC card "quality".
But I can not exclude it, of course.

> When capturing dv tape as avi files to a PC, does it matter what kind of
> camera plays the tape via firewire to the PC?

Surely no. It is just a data transfer from the tape to the PC. Camcorder
tech level has nothing to with quality of your movie transferred.

> Would it be best to just get a
> cheap DV camera for the job in case the PC zaps the firewire connection and
> save the expensive camera?

Should I know the (near) future... ;-)

Roman

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Tim" <hawkdc9@removethis.swcp.com> wrote:

>I would like to ask others on this group about firewire connections on
>cameras and vcr decks that don't work. How often do they fail or get
>zapped? What might cause them to fail? I worry that the cheap firewire
>cards that PCs use could cause a problem with expensive decks and cameras.
>When capturing dv tape as avi files to a PC, does it matter what kind of
>camera plays the tape via firewire to the PC? Would it be best to just get a
>cheap DV camera for the job in case the PC zaps the firewire connection and
>save the expensive camera?
>
>Tim

I'm using a low cost firewire card and have had no problems with it
I've used the firewire for my DV camera, an external hard disk drive
and an external CD writer.
You might have problems if you unplug the firewire connection while
it's being used to transfer data.

Regards Brian