Remote Desktop not possible with computer names

I am able to connect with Remote Desktop to PC's on my home network by
specifying their IP address, but if I use the computer name I get a message:

"The client cannot connect to the remote computer.
Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to
accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are
preventing your connection. "

How do I fix this? I have XP sp1 on two computers and XP sp2 on the my
laptop that I use to Remote Desktop to the others. I also cannot path out by
computername to the shared folders, but again it works if I use the IP
address.

thanks
Dingo

Dingo wrote:
> I am able to connect with Remote Desktop to PC's on my home network by
> specifying their IP address, but if I use the computer name I get a
> message:
>
> "The client cannot connect to the remote computer.
> Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too
> busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network
> problems are preventing your connection. "
>
> How do I fix this? I have XP sp1 on two computers and XP sp2 on the
> my laptop that I use to Remote Desktop to the others. I also cannot
> path out by computername to the shared folders, but again it works if
> I use the IP address.
>
> thanks
> Dingo

Can you ping the host computer by name successfully?

Dingo <Dingo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am able to connect with Remote Desktop to PC's on my home network by
> specifying their IP address, but if I use the computer name I get a
> message:
>
> "The client cannot connect to the remote computer.
> Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too
> busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network
> problems are preventing your connection. "
>
> How do I fix this? I have XP sp1 on two computers and XP sp2 on the
> my laptop that I use to Remote Desktop to the others. I also cannot
> path out by computername to the shared folders, but again it works if
> I use the IP address.

Your home network PCs do not have entries in the DNS naming system, so DNS
names will not work. IP addresses will work fine.

To reference other PCs by NetBIOS name in order to make an IP connection
requires that you have NetBIOS-over-TCP/IP enabled on all PCs, and that you
have configured Windows Firewall to allow Microsoft File and Printer Sharing
as an Exception. You should also ensure that all PCs have the same
Workgroup name configured.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

"Robin Walker" wrote:

> Your home network PCs do not have entries in the DNS naming system, so DNS
> names will not work. IP addresses will work fine.
>
> To reference other PCs by NetBIOS name in order to make an IP connection
> requires that you have NetBIOS-over-TCP/IP enabled on all PCs, and that you
> have configured Windows Firewall to allow Microsoft File and Printer Sharing
> as an Exception. You should also ensure that all PCs have the same
> Workgroup name configured.
>
> --
> Robin Walker
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

I have confirmed that I have NetBios over TCP/IP enabled on all my
computers, they are all in the same one Workgroup and the Firewall is
configured to let File & Printer sharing through as well as Remote Desktop.
Still no luck though. I can also ping all machines by IP address, but not by
computername. I've noticed in the event log the following is showing up and
suspect it is related...

The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master
\\MYPCNAME on the network
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{5113EA66-E1F3-48B3-9CA8-A6DBD031BBD1}. The data is the
error code.

Question: Can I get round this problem by typing in my IP to computername in
the LMHOSTS file? Would I have to do that on all computers?

Thanks..... appreciate the help. :^)

Dingo <Dingo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have confirmed that I have NetBios over TCP/IP enabled on all my
> computers, they are all in the same one Workgroup and the Firewall is
> configured to let File & Printer sharing through as well as Remote
> Desktop. Still no luck though. I can also ping all machines by IP
> address, but not by computername. I've noticed in the event log the
> following is showing up and suspect it is related...
>
> The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser
> master \\MYPCNAME on the network
> \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{5113EA66-E1F3-48B3-9CA8-A6DBD031BBD1}. The data
> is the error code.

This is indeed progress. It shows that your problems are due to a failure to
get info from the browsemaster. The next step is to find out why. At each
PC on your LAN, open a command window and type the command

ipconfig /all

and especially note the value in the line "Node Type". A value of "Unknown"
is usually fine. Anything like "Point to Point" or "Peer to Peer" is bad.

Also, on the identified browsemaster PC, does the log file reveal anything
more useful?

> Question: Can I get round this problem by typing in my IP to
> computername in the LMHOSTS file? Would I have to do that on all
> computers?

Yes, and yes. Though you would need to be quite sure that they all worked
with the same IP address all the time, which you cannot guarantee with
DHCP-issued IP addresses.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Robin wrote:
> This is indeed progress. It shows that your problems are due to a failure to
> get info from the browsemaster. The next step is to find out why. At each
> PC on your LAN, open a command window and type the command
>
> ipconfig /all
>
> and especially note the value in the line "Node Type". A value of "Unknown"
> is usually fine. Anything like "Point to Point" or "Peer to Peer" is bad.
>
> Also, on the identified browsemaster PC, does the log file reveal anything
> more useful?
>
> > Question: Can I get round this problem by typing in my IP to
> > computername in the LMHOSTS file? Would I have to do that on all
> > computers?
>
> Yes, and yes. Though you would need to be quite sure that they all worked
> with the same IP address all the time, which you cannot guarantee with
> DHCP-issued IP addresses.
>
> --
> Robin Walker
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

On the 3 PC's on my home network they all have the following settings:
Node Type : Hybrid
IP routing Enabled : No
WINS Proxy Enabled : No
DHCP Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled : Yes
The Default Gateway, DHCP Server and DNS Server all correctly point to my
Router's IP address, and all machines have the IP addresses I expect to be
assigned to them from the router.

In the event log on the MasterBrowser, I am seeing some odd events in this
order...
1. The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{<gid#>} was
connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network
adapter.
2. The browser has forced an election on network
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{<different gid> because a master browser was stopped.
I see the 2nd event msg about 3 or 4 times in a day but I'm seeing the 1st
message about 15 -20 times and even throughout the night. One thing to note,
I am not switching these computers off during the day or night so that should
not be a factor in affecting the MasterBrowser or the reason for the event
msgs.
(I do also get a message about 3 times a day about the IPSEC Service
starting and then later stopping, but I don't think that is material to this
issue -- it is probably just my company enforcing their security policy
through the VPN connection I have with them.)

Seeing the 1st Event msg repeatedly made me think maybe I have a NIC thats
going bad on the MasterBrowser PC, but on the other hand I have not had any
other problems with it accessing the internet or staying connected to my VPN,
so it can't be failing regularly.

Thanks.

Dingo <Dingo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> On the 3 PC's on my home network they all have the following settings:
> Node Type : Hybrid

That is not the default. Do you have (or have you ever had) WINS servers
defined in the TCP/IP properties? If so, your PCs will be trying to use
your corporate WINS server to do name resolution. As every PC is behind a
NAT router, the responses from the WINS server will be confusing.

If you have WINS servers defined, then try removing them from your PC
configuration.

It is possible that your PCs are acquiring this WINS and NodeType
configuration when they connect by VPN to your company network, as such
things can be pushed by VPN configuration at the time of connection.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

> That is not the default. Do you have (or have you ever had) WINS servers
> defined in the TCP/IP properties? If so, your PCs will be trying to use
> your corporate WINS server to do name resolution. As every PC is behind a
> NAT router, the responses from the WINS server will be confusing.

I checked and found one of my computers had WINS server entries. I removed
them and then did ipconfig /all again. I noticed this changed the NoteType
to "Broadcast" on that PC, but my 2 other PCs have remained at Hybrid (even
after an IP release as well as a reboot) *How do I get them to change
NodeType?*

> It is possible that your PCs are acquiring this WINS and NodeType
> configuration when they connect by VPN to your company network

The WINS entries were on an older PC of mine that I used to connect to work
with. Removing them and connecting to my work VPN has worked fine. It is
not repopulating the WINS entries.

Two other things - checking my router's dynamic DHCP entries; it was not
listing computer names for 2 of my PCs. When I did an ipconfig /renew from
those 2 PCs, that populated the router's dyn-DHCP table again. I then also
reran the home network wizard and though all my computers now show up in my
workgroup I am still not able to connect by COMPUTERNAME via Remote Desktop.
And I get the 'network path cannot be found' when I try to connect through
the workgroup explorer window....very strange...

thx, Louie

From a response by Steve Winograd, MS-MVP, to another user...

**************************************

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web/browse_thread/thread/97dbb3f1a9a0bf89/115901c10e408185?q=node+type+group:*.network_web&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dnode+type+group:*.network_web%26start%3D0%26scoring%3Dd%26safe%3Dimages%26lr%3D%26hl%3Den%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#115901c10e408185

4. Run "ipconfig /all" on XP and look at the "Node Type" at the
beginning of the output. If it says "Peer-to-Peer" (which should
actually be "Point-to-Point") that's the problem. It means that the
computer only uses a WINS server, which isn't available on a
peer-to-peer network, for NetBIOS name resolution.

If that's the case, run the registry editor, open this key:

HLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parametersand delete these values if they're present:

NodeType
DhcpNodeType

Reboot, then try network access again.

If that doesn't fix it, open that registry key again, create a DWORD
value called "NodeType", and set it to 1 for "Broadcast" or 4 for
"Mixed".

For details, see these Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

Default Node Type for Microsoft Clients

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160177TCP/IP and NBT Configuration
Parameters for Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314053******************************
--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> [...]
> > NodeType?*
> >
> >> It is possible that your PCs are acquiring this WINS and NodeType
> >> configuration when they connect by VPN to your company network
> >
> > The WINS entries were on an older PC of mine that I used to connect to work
> > with. Removing them and connecting to my work VPN has worked fine. It is
> > not repopulating the WINS entries.
> >
> > Two other things - checking my router's dynamic DHCP entries; it was not
> > listing computer names for 2 of my PCs. When I did an ipconfig /renew from
> > those 2 PCs, that populated the router's dyn-DHCP table again. I then also
> > reran the home network wizard and though all my computers now show up in my
> > workgroup I am still not able to connect by COMPUTERNAME via Remote Desktop.
> > And I get the 'network path cannot be found' when I try to connect through
> > the workgroup explorer window....very strange...

It's working now. Thx to all on this thread. :^)
Just to confirm: I removed the DhcpNodeType entry and created a new
NodeType entry with a DWORD value of 1 - that changed the NodeType setting to
'Broadcast' when viewed through ipconfig /all.
Then I also found some old static entries in a hosts file on 2 of the
computers - some of which I put there a while back when trying to fix this.
I removed those and rebooted, and after that I am now able to ping
computernames and attach to them via RemoteDesktop.

Thank You!

Industry

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
For those looking for a solution, this is what worked for me:

It appears the issue had to do with the DhcpDomain registry key. For some reason it was set to my ISP's domain on one computer and my business's domain on another even though both were my home computers. Setting them to blank fixed the issues I was having.

Edit DhcpDomain="" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<the interface that corresponds with your current connection>\