Zoran JPEG Question

My small digital camera records motion using a Zoran integrated chip. It
records only in 320x240 mode, but it is crystal-clear sharp full-screen.
My problem centers around working with the video to edit it. Absolutely
nothing I have tried to date produces acceptable quality. I have tried
pulling the video out via Uncompressed RGB - huge file - lousy quality.
Have tried TechSmith - not good, but closer. Intel Video Raw R1.2 and
Intel IYUV - nada. I tried Morgan JPEG and it removed my ability to view
Zoran encoded videos so needed to uninstall. Xvid at a quality setting of
"1" seems closest - but still not the same.

I have read that the MainConcept MJPEG can work in a Zoran compliant
fashion - and when I get through with this I will install it. I have no
qualms about the video size from the Zoran chip - a bit large for a
320x240 (being around 9megs per minute), but it really is crystal clear.

The one thing that works is to run it through Ulead Video Editor and
treat it like a DV file and have it processed that way - telling the
encoder for the DV to decode at Quarter-Screen. That program is
shareware and will die in a few days - I tried the Panasonic DV codec,
but in VirtualDub it requires me to first enlarge the file to 720x480 and
then bring it down - resulting in artifacts not present in original
320x240 file.

Any thoughts? Is there a Zoran encoder someplace?

Bye and Thanks for help in advance.

Bill

TruBlu <Tru@bad.com> wrote in news:Xns95EDB7B562F46Trubadcom@non.com:

> My small digital camera records motion using a Zoran integrated chip.

Discovered the absolute best way to handle these files - Edit them in Linux
as MJPEG is a native format for Linux. I set up a Virtual PC and installed
a linux distro in it - and works perfectly fine.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:05:18 GMT, TruBlu <Tru@bad.com> wrote:

>My small digital camera records motion using a Zoran integrated chip. It
>records only in 320x240 mode, but it is crystal-clear sharp full-screen.
>My problem centers around working with the video to edit it. Absolutely
>nothing I have tried to date produces acceptable quality. I have tried
>pulling the video out via Uncompressed RGB - huge file - lousy quality.

Uncompressed RGB means there is no degradation of the image. The same
would happen with Huffyuv, which is a lossless codec, and would reduce
the file size to 1/2 or 1/3.

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:05:18 GMT, TruBlu <Tru@bad.com> wrote:
>
>>My small digital camera records motion using a Zoran integrated chip.
>>It records only in 320x240 mode, but it is crystal-clear sharp
>>full-screen. My problem centers around working with the video to edit
>>it. Absolutely nothing I have tried to date produces acceptable
>>quality. I have tried pulling the video out via Uncompressed RGB -
>>huge file - lousy quality.
>
> Uncompressed RGB means there is no degradation of the image. The same
> would happen with Huffyuv, which is a lossless codec, and would reduce
> the file size to 1/2 or 1/3.

That is not true unfortunately - if it was I would jump for joy. The
camera produces its format. Uncompressed Video decides that whatever it
sees it will record as a video sequence. But Microsoft decided what this
sequence of captures should be - I hooked it to a Linux box and fantastic -
did so on an Apple - fantastic. Microsoft created the routine to capture
and chose not to include Zoran Chips.

Sorry

TRENDING THREADS