I manage a large environment with many VPN users. We are migrating from
Novell to Microsoft AD and placing all of our file resources on DFS links. I
Am able to get my users to map to our DFS root with batch files and the "net
use" command however it requires that each user have a unique batch file
including their user id and password. I was hoping for a "cleaner" and more
user friendly solution. Is anyone aware of an app or a VB Script that opens
gui interface to the user, prompts for user id and password, they simply
click "connect" and "net use" runs in the background with the values that
they provided in the gui. In addition, it would be nice if the gui stayed
open until the user clicks on "Disconnect" to disconnect their drives before
they disconnect from VPN. Is there such a tool out there?
Thanks,
Bob

Bob - please post in one or more of the Server groups as well--this kind of
issue is probably susceptable to a number of different approaches, and the
server admin types are the ones who will have solved it before. There's a
scripting group, as well, which might be relevant:

microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting

"Bob Gilbreath" <Bob7@noway.com> wrote in message
>I manage a large environment with many VPN users. We are migrating from
>Novell to Microsoft AD and placing all of our file resources on DFS links.
>I Am able to get my users to map to our DFS root with batch files and the
>"net use" command however it requires that each user have a unique batch
>file including their user id and password. I was hoping for a "cleaner" and
>more user friendly solution. Is anyone aware of an app or a VB Script that
>opens gui interface to the user, prompts for user id and password, they
>simply click "connect" and "net use" runs in the background with the values
>that they provided in the gui. In addition, it would be nice if the gui
>stayed open until the user clicks on "Disconnect" to disconnect their
>drives before they disconnect from VPN. Is there such a tool out there?
> Thanks,
> Bob

Thank you. I'll try that.
"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> Bob - please post in one or more of the Server groups as well--this kind
> of issue is probably susceptable to a number of different approaches, and
> the server admin types are the ones who will have solved it before.
> There's a scripting group, as well, which might be relevant:
>
> microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting
>

> "Bob Gilbreath" <Bob7@noway.com> wrote in message
>>I manage a large environment with many VPN users. We are migrating from
>>Novell to Microsoft AD and placing all of our file resources on DFS links.
>>I Am able to get my users to map to our DFS root with batch files and the
>>"net use" command however it requires that each user have a unique batch
>>file including their user id and password. I was hoping for a "cleaner"
>>and more user friendly solution. Is anyone aware of an app or a VB Script
>>that opens gui interface to the user, prompts for user id and password,
>>they simply click "connect" and "net use" runs in the background with the
>>values that they provided in the gui. In addition, it would be nice if the
>>gui stayed open until the user clicks on "Disconnect" to disconnect their
>>drives before they disconnect from VPN. Is there such a tool out there?
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

Check this NET USE GUI out:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/netusegui/