Remote Desktop over the internet

I have purchased Windows XP Pro because it said on the box that I would be
able to remote connect to my PC over the internet. I have not figured out how
to do this. At home I leave my PC on 24 hours a day and it is connected to my
DSL modem which is always connected to the internet. I have visisted the URL
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/russel_02January14.mspx
and read the article of how to setup my PC for remote connectivity from an
internet website but I am confused as how it works. My theory is that I need
to have my home PC on a server but I don't own one. Is there a way for me to
be able to remote connect to my home host computer while I am at any internet
browser that doesn't have any remote desktop installed on it. My goal is to
be able to do like www.gotomypc.com does..

--
GS

Look at this page for help...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Gary F Shelton" <GaryFShelton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have purchased Windows XP Pro because it said on the box that I would be
> able to remote connect to my PC over the internet. I have not figured out how
> to do this. At home I leave my PC on 24 hours a day and it is connected to my
> DSL modem which is always connected to the internet. I have visisted the URL
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/russel_02January14.mspx
> and read the article of how to setup my PC for remote connectivity from an
> internet website but I am confused as how it works. My theory is that I need
> to have my home PC on a server but I don't own one. Is there a way for me to
> be able to remote connect to my home host computer while I am at any internet
> browser that doesn't have any remote desktop installed on it. My goal is to
> be able to do like www.gotomypc.com does..
>
> --
> GS

Gary F Shelton <GaryFShelton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have purchased Windows XP Pro because it said on the box that I
> would be able to remote connect to my PC over the internet. I have
> not figured out how to do this. At home I leave my PC on 24 hours a
> day and it is connected to my DSL modem which is always connected to
> the internet.

Assuming you have configured your home PC to enable the Remote Desktop
function, and opened any firewall you are running so as to permit incoming
Remote Desktop calls, then you simply go to any other PC on the internet,
launch the Remote Desktop client, type in the IP address of your home PC,
and away you go.

If you can't find the Remote Desktop client on the Start menu of any PC,
just click Start > Run, then enter

mstsc

This will find the client on Windows XP. For other older versions of
Windows, you might have to download the RD client from Microsoft, then run
it.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk