  • Games
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
December 18, 2004 9:27:04 AM

why is xp locking up when i play games i have upgraded from 98 se to xp now i
can't play my games. i have downloaded the drivers for ati rage pro and
soundblaster 5.1 system just stops responding i don't understand what to do
now please give me some ideas before i wipe this out. i like xp but to many
troubles
thank you for any assistance you can give
paul

More about : windows crashes

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 4:22:32 PM

paul wrote:
> why is xp locking up when i play games i have upgraded from 98 se to
> xp now i can't play my games. i have downloaded the drivers for ati
> rage pro and soundblaster 5.1 system just stops responding i don't
> understand what to do now please give me some ideas before i wipe
> this out. i like xp but to many troubles
> thank you for any assistance you can give
> paul

What does "system stops responding" mean exactly? The whole PC freezes? The
game freezes? What games are these, and are they meant to run on XP?
Have you checked your event logs for errors?
Did you get the device drivers from the hardware manufacturer's website (not
Windows Update)?

All that said, you might have more luck posting in m.p.windowsxp.general.
January 21, 2009 12:25:39 AM

This is usually do to the hardware being faulty. It gets hot or damaged and works fine in win98se because it's software underclocked. But as soon as you put it to Windows XP and its demanding more from the card, it is not used to it and simply blows. Newer computers dont have this problem as much anymore. Unless you buy a laptop and never install the correct drivers (North or South Bridge and Video) Then it never operates like its supposed to and when you do all of the sudden upgrade or utilize these features, the component will blow.
:sol:
Info-Nex
Related resources
January 21, 2009 10:59:30 AM

Heh, nothing like 5 yrs and 1 month later for that response....hehe
January 21, 2009 11:17:51 AM

bhowell said:
Heh, nothing like 5 yrs and 1 month later for that response....hehe

Yes, I could have swarn the date was recent when I looked at it. I was rather shocked to see questions about 98se still being posted. Even for 2004 that is still old! I wonder if the person who posted this thread still had the same problem? :lol:
!