Control Panel via Telnet

December 19, 2004 4:02:35 AM

I telnet into my other PC, after authenticating I type in
Control.exe to run the Control Panel and nothing happens.
How can I run the Control Panel remotely? Even if I
connect via the GUI and click on Control.exe it only runs
the Control Panel on the PC that I am on not the remote
PC. TIA

More about : control panel telnet

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 8:52:11 PM

Bill Thorngate <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I telnet into my other PC, after authenticating I type in
> Control.exe to run the Control Panel and nothing happens.

Correct: logging in via telnet supports only command-line console commands.

> How can I run the Control Panel remotely?

You would need to log in using something like Remote Desktop.

> Even if I
> connect via the GUI and click on Control.exe it only runs
> the Control Panel on the PC that I am on not the remote
> PC.

What do you mean by "connect via the GUI?"

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

By GUI I mean Windows Explorer by typing
\\computername\c$ into the Run box.
December 19, 2004 9:57:20 PM

Bill Thorngate <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> By GUI I mean Windows Explorer by typing
> \\computername\c$ into the Run box.

But that's just viewing the network shares of "computername": it does not
give you any way to control the PC, or open its control panel.

As I said before, if you want to control a remote PC, you need to use
something like Remote Desktop, or perhaps VNC.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Ok well thank you for your responses, I really appreciate
it.

!