DVD Labels

I am looking for CD/DVD labels that will block out existing printing on
the disk. I have been using "Stick It Right" labels by Great Gizmos and
they do an outstanding job since they have a foil backing.
Unfortunately, these labels were apparently discontinued about 3 years
ago and my supply is about to run out. I can't seem to find anything
other than plain white labels. The printing on the disk still shows
through.

Can anyone recommend a replacement?

Thanks,
Gary

Here's a thought : buy labels with no writing to begin with. They're
available form a number of on-line sources, probably for less than what
you're paying now, even with the shipping.

"Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I am looking for CD/DVD labels that will block out existing printing on
> the disk. I have been using "Stick It Right" labels by Great Gizmos and
> they do an outstanding job since they have a foil backing.
> Unfortunately, these labels were apparently discontinued about 3 years
> ago and my supply is about to run out. I can't seem to find anything
> other than plain white labels. The printing on the disk still shows
> through.
>
> Can anyone recommend a replacement?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

If buying other disks had been an option, I wouldn't have posted the
message. The company I work for specified what blank disks they were
going to buy, and they bought a large quantity in advance some time ago.
I had them purchase a large quantity of the now obsolete labels along
with them. I am now running out of labels, but we still have a very
large stock of blank disks. It doesn't present a very good image to the
customer if the printing on the disk shows through the label.

Gary

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:28:21 GMT, "Steve Guidry"
<steveguidry@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Here's a thought : buy labels with no writing to begin with. They're
>available form a number of on-line sources, probably for less than what
>you're paying now, even with the shipping.
>
>"Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> I am looking for CD/DVD labels that will block out existing printing on
>> the disk. I have been using "Stick It Right" labels by Great Gizmos and
>> they do an outstanding job since they have a foil backing.
>> Unfortunately, these labels were apparently discontinued about 3 years
>> ago and my supply is about to run out. I can't seem to find anything
>> other than plain white labels. The printing on the disk still shows
>> through.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a replacement?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gary

"Gary Edstrom" wrote ...
> If buying other disks had been an option, I wouldn't have
> posted the message. The company I work for specified
> what blank disks they were going to buy, and they bought
> a large quantity in advance some time ago.
> I had them purchase a large quantity of the now obsolete
> labels along with them. I am now running out of labels,
> but we still have a very large stock of blank disks. It doesn't
> present a very good image to the customer if the printing
> on the disk shows through the label.

I guess they will have to decide between a good image and
using up their stack of old discs. Blank/printable disks are
so cheap these days, you could probably get them for the price
of the labels you were using.

AnthonyR

Gary,
How long ago did your company buy this very large supply?
If it was over a year ago, you must have paid a lot for each disc, $5-$10
each, so
I could see not wanting to re-purchase at those prices.

But dvd blanks are sooo cheap now, you could get inkjet printable ones in
stacks of 100
for almost a quarter each, less than you will pay for a label probably.
And an epson R200 inkjet printer for about $60 you can print directly on the
dvd itself.
No more curling labels on rainy days for your customers, ehat is more
professional looking than that?

Just some advice, :)
AnthonyR

> If buying other disks had been an option, I wouldn't have posted the
> message. The company I work for specified what blank disks they were
> going to buy, and they bought a large quantity in advance some time ago.
> I had them purchase a large quantity of the now obsolete labels along
> with them. I am now running out of labels, but we still have a very
> large stock of blank disks. It doesn't present a very good image to the
> customer if the printing on the disk shows through the label.
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:28:21 GMT, "Steve Guidry"
> <steveguidry@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Here's a thought : buy labels with no writing to begin with. They're
>>available form a number of on-line sources, probably for less than what
>>you're paying now, even with the shipping.
>>
>>"Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> I am looking for CD/DVD labels that will block out existing printing on
>>> the disk. I have been using "Stick It Right" labels by Great Gizmos and
>>> they do an outstanding job since they have a foil backing.
>>> Unfortunately, these labels were apparently discontinued about 3 years
>>> ago and my supply is about to run out. I can't seem to find anything
>>> other than plain white labels. The printing on the disk still shows
>>> through.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a replacement?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gary

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

AnthonyR wrote:

> But dvd blanks are sooo cheap now, you could get inkjet printable ones in
> stacks of 100
> for almost a quarter each, less than you will pay for a label probably.
> And an epson R200 inkjet printer for about $60 you can print directly on the
> dvd itself.
> No more curling labels on rainy days for your customers, ehat is more
> professional looking than that?
>
> Just some advice, :)
> AnthonyR

I know you said ink jet printable DVDs, but was wondering if you could print on
regular DVD blanks with an ink jet and how would results look? My guess is it
would be a big mess. I don't have an ink jet to use, or I'd give it a try
(still using my old laserjet).

George

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:54:10 -0600, George <steber@execpc.com> wrote:

>AnthonyR wrote:
>

>> But dvd blanks are sooo cheap now, you could get inkjet printable ones in
>> stacks of 100
>> for almost a quarter each, less than you will pay for a label probably.
>> And an epson R200 inkjet printer for about $60 you can print directly on the
>> dvd itself.
>> No more curling labels on rainy days for your customers, ehat is more
>> professional looking than that?
>>
>> Just some advice, :)
>> AnthonyR
>>

>I know you said ink jet printable DVDs, but was wondering if you could print on
>regular DVD blanks with an ink jet and how would results look? My guess is it
>would be a big mess. I don't have an ink jet to use, or I'd give it a try
>(still using my old laserjet).
>
>George

Dude, I think you are missing the point here bigtime. Unless you have
flexible rubber DVDs that somehow can be fed through the printer, it
makes no difference what technology printer you have, it ain't gonna
work.

The R200 was specifically designed to have the ability of printing
onto a flat platter (the DVD). Regular DVD's are not going to accept
ink from an ink jet. You'll either get nothing or a splodge.

Not something you'll want to 'try'. All that ink that didn't stick to
the disk stays somewhere (inside the printer), and it'll come out
slowly over the next 1000 things you print on.

--
Owamanga!

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You cannot print on non printable dvd's, the ink does not lay on the surface
properly, and as soon as you touch it, it smudges and wipes off. The
printable disks give fantastic results tho, using an inkjet printer designed
for printing onto cd's and dvd's such as the Epson R200

"George" <steber@execpc.com> wrote in message

> AnthonyR wrote:
>

> > But dvd blanks are sooo cheap now, you could get inkjet printable ones
in
> > stacks of 100
> > for almost a quarter each, less than you will pay for a label probably.
> > And an epson R200 inkjet printer for about $60 you can print directly on
the
> > dvd itself.
> > No more curling labels on rainy days for your customers, ehat is more
> > professional looking than that?
> >
> > Just some advice, :)
> > AnthonyR
> >

> I know you said ink jet printable DVDs, but was wondering if you could
print on
> regular DVD blanks with an ink jet and how would results look? My guess
is it
> would be a big mess. I don't have an ink jet to use, or I'd give it a try
> (still using my old laserjet).
>
> George

"George" wrote ...
> I know you said ink jet printable DVDs, but was wondering if you could
> print on
> regular DVD blanks with an ink jet and how would results look? My
> guess is it
> would be a big mess.

You are absolutely correct. It not only looks like a big mess,
but as an added feature ink will come off on your fingers and
anything else nearby, extending the mess throughout the general
area (and through your printer) for no extra charge.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Richard Crowley wrote:

> "George" wrote ...
> > I know you said ink jet printable DVDs, but was wondering if you could
> print on
> > regular DVD blanks with an ink jet and how would results look? My
> > guess is it would be a big mess.
>
> You are absolutely correct. It not only looks like a big mess,
> but as an added feature ink will come off on your fingers and
> anything else nearby, extending the mess throughout the general
> area (and through your printer) for no extra charge.

I had a hunch the result would be a mess, but I was just curious. Hope no
one trys it at home <smile>.

I use my Alps dye sub printer (in wax mode) for my DVD labels as it has
excellent quality and even puts on a clear protective overcoat. Labels are
dry right out of the printer. Too bad it doesn't have a straight paper path
as it would be ideal for direct DVD printing, except possibly for the heat
issue, if there is one. . Since I only print a few labels per month, I
don't want to invest in another printer... an ink jet... with possible ink
jet clogging from too little use. Although I've heard they are great.

George

AnthonyR

George,
Not sure what exactly you mean? If you could somehow alter a printer to feed
through a dvd disc, and it wasn't a printable dvd, the ink would not stick
to it, it would smear off when you touched it. And it would probably mess up
the print heads too from all that ink getting sprayed and not absorbed.

You could print directly onto regular shiny dvd's with those cheap casio
direct to disc printers but they use thermo-transfer and not inkjet, but
they only print in a small area and for some reason the intructions say to
print before burning discs, which makes it difficult to do, but i wonder if
the heat required to transfer will affect the burn?

AnthonyR

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:48:42 GMT, "AnthonyR" <nomail@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Not sure what exactly you mean? If you could somehow alter a printer to feed
>through a dvd disc, and it wasn't a printable dvd, the ink would not stick
>to it, it would smear off when you touched it. And it would probably mess up
>the print heads too from all that ink getting sprayed and not absorbed.

We don't need to alter a printer any more. There are printers that are
designed to print on (printable) discs.
The Epson R200 is pretty affordable (well under $100), and does a
veryu good job.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

AnthonyR

Yes i know, i own two of them, they are the best!
:)