Connecting notebook and handheld using terminal services c..

I have a Dell insprion notebook and just purchased a dell aximX30. I have
read all the informaton that I can find on connecting useing Termnial
services client. The problem that I have is knowing where to locate the
information that my handheld is asking for. Domain name, or which ip address
does it need, my wireless ip, my isp's ip. I'm sorry call me a computer dummy
but I have never had a need to use this feature and now I do. Dell seems to
be totally lost to the idea of how this service works. Thanks in advance for
any information anyone can provide.
My notebook OS is XP home edition. And Windows CE for the handheld.
5 answers Last reply
More about connecting notebook handheld terminal services

    Reply to message from Ranger762 <Ranger762@discussions.microsoft.com> (Sun, 19 Dec 2004
    20:39:04) about "Connecting notebook and handheld using terminal services client":

    > I have a Dell insprion notebook and just purchased a dell aximX30. I have read all the
    > informaton that I can find on connecting useing Termnial services client. The problem
    > that I have is knowing where to locate the information that my handheld is asking for.
    > Domain name, or which ip address does it need, my wireless ip, my isp's ip. I'm sorry
    > call me a computer dummy but I have never had a need to use this feature and now I do.
    > Dell seems to be totally lost to the idea of how this service works. Thanks in advance
    > for any information anyone can provide. My notebook OS is XP home edition. And Windows
    > CE for the handheld.

    You can't access a XP Home machine using the PocketPC Terminal Services Client because XP
    Home can not run Remote Desktop in host mode.

    An alternative is VNC...

    PPC VNC clients, both FREE...

    http://www.allware.com.mx/Windowsce/

    http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html

    VNC server software for your desktop PCs...
    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    ------
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

    Thanks for your help. One more question. If I just upgrade to XP PRO will
    that solve the problem as well. I really wanted to upgrade to XP PRO anyway.
    Thanks for you
    attention,
    Terry L. White

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Reply to message from Ranger762 <Ranger762@discussions.microsoft.com> (Sun, 19 Dec 2004
    > 20:39:04) about "Connecting notebook and handheld using terminal services client":
    >
    > > I have a Dell insprion notebook and just purchased a dell aximX30. I have read all the
    > > informaton that I can find on connecting useing Termnial services client. The problem
    > > that I have is knowing where to locate the information that my handheld is asking for.
    > > Domain name, or which ip address does it need, my wireless ip, my isp's ip. I'm sorry
    > > call me a computer dummy but I have never had a need to use this feature and now I do.
    > > Dell seems to be totally lost to the idea of how this service works. Thanks in advance
    > > for any information anyone can provide. My notebook OS is XP home edition. And Windows
    > > CE for the handheld.
    >
    > You can't access a XP Home machine using the PocketPC Terminal Services Client because XP
    > Home can not run Remote Desktop in host mode.
    >
    > An alternative is VNC...
    >
    > PPC VNC clients, both FREE...
    >
    > http://www.allware.com.mx/Windowsce/
    >
    > http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html
    >
    > VNC server software for your desktop PCs...
    > http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > ------
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >
    > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

    Yes, if you upgrade the notebook OS to XP Pro you can then access the notebook using the PocketPC
    TSC... Look at this page for some help with that...

    "Ranger762" <Ranger762@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your help. One more question. If I just upgrade to XP PRO will
    > that solve the problem as well. I really wanted to upgrade to XP PRO anyway.
    > Thanks for you
    > attention,
    > Terry L. White
    >
    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Reply to message from Ranger762 <Ranger762@discussions.microsoft.com> (Sun, 19 Dec 2004
    >> 20:39:04) about "Connecting notebook and handheld using terminal services client":
    >>
    >> > I have a Dell insprion notebook and just purchased a dell aximX30. I have read all the
    >> > informaton that I can find on connecting useing Termnial services client. The problem
    >> > that I have is knowing where to locate the information that my handheld is asking for.
    >> > Domain name, or which ip address does it need, my wireless ip, my isp's ip. I'm sorry
    >> > call me a computer dummy but I have never had a need to use this feature and now I do.
    >> > Dell seems to be totally lost to the idea of how this service works. Thanks in advance
    >> > for any information anyone can provide. My notebook OS is XP home edition. And Windows
    >> > CE for the handheld.
    >>
    >> You can't access a XP Home machine using the PocketPC Terminal Services Client because XP
    >> Home can not run Remote Desktop in host mode.
    >>
    >> An alternative is VNC...
    >>
    >> PPC VNC clients, both FREE...
    >>
    >> http://www.allware.com.mx/Windowsce/
    >>
    >> http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html
    >>
    >> VNC server software for your desktop PCs...
    >> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> ------
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>
    >> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

    Thank you so very much for your help,I have tried everyone that I know to get
    this done and no one seems to have a clue what I am talking about. I
    contacted Dell and believe it or not there actually going to send me the XP
    Pro O.S FREE. They explained that they see this as their mistake. The support
    staff should have explained that I needed XP Pro to make this
    connection.Usually I make jokes about the Dell so called award winning
    customer support. But I have to hand it to them. They came through for me on
    this one. I am really not to sure of the differences in XP Home and XP Pro
    but i'm told that I should be pleased with the change. My notebook has a
    rather small 30 gig hard drive 512k DDR ram and a Pentium M 1.4 processor.
    Should I be okay with the difference in the O.S. As far as hard drive space
    and performance. The machine is brand new. So I'm thinking I should be okay
    but you seem to know much more about this. The link that you provided for me
    is the most informative site I have seen yet. And I will pass the newly
    learned knowledge to others.

    Thanks a ton,

    Terry

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Yes, if you upgrade the notebook OS to XP Pro you can then access the notebook using the PocketPC
    > TSC... Look at this page for some help with that...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Ranger762" <Ranger762@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for your help. One more question. If I just upgrade to XP PRO will
    > > that solve the problem as well. I really wanted to upgrade to XP PRO anyway.
    > > Thanks for you
    > > attention,
    > > Terry L. White
    > >
    > > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Reply to message from Ranger762 <Ranger762@discussions.microsoft.com> (Sun, 19 Dec 2004
    > >> 20:39:04) about "Connecting notebook and handheld using terminal services client":

    > >> You can't access a XP Home machine using the PocketPC Terminal Services Client because XP
    > >> Home can not run Remote Desktop in host mode.
    > >>
    > >> An alternative is VNC...
    > >>
    > >> PPC VNC clients, both FREE...
    > >>
    > >> http://www.allware.com.mx/Windowsce/
    > >>
    > >> http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html
    > >>
    > >> VNC server software for your desktop PCs...
    > >> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    > >>
    > >> ------
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

    Cool... Those specs pretty much mimic the specs of my XP Pro desktop so you should be good to go.

    Here is a link that explains some of the difference between XP Pro and XP Home editions...

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prhh_not_ubgb.asp

    --

    > Thank you so very much for your help,I have tried everyone that I know to get
    > this done and no one seems to have a clue what I am talking about. I
    > contacted Dell and believe it or not there actually going to send me the XP
    > Pro O.S FREE. They explained that they see this as their mistake. The support
    > staff should have explained that I needed XP Pro to make this
    > connection.Usually I make jokes about the Dell so called award winning
    > customer support. But I have to hand it to them. They came through for me on
    > this one. I am really not to sure of the differences in XP Home and XP Pro
    > but i'm told that I should be pleased with the change. My notebook has a
    > rather small 30 gig hard drive 512k DDR ram and a Pentium M 1.4 processor.
    > Should I be okay with the difference in the O.S. As far as hard drive space
    > and performance. The machine is brand new. So I'm thinking I should be okay
    > but you seem to know much more about this. The link that you provided for me
    > is the most informative site I have seen yet. And I will pass the newly
    > learned knowledge to others.
    >
    > Thanks a ton,
    >
    > Terry
    >

    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, if you upgrade the notebook OS to XP Pro you can then access the notebook using the PocketPC
    >> TSC... Look at this page for some help with that...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "Ranger762" <Ranger762@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for your help. One more question. If I just upgrade to XP PRO will
    >> > that solve the problem as well. I really wanted to upgrade to XP PRO anyway.
    >> > Thanks for you
    >> > attention,
    >> > Terry L. White

Internet Service Providers Notebooks Dell Windows XP