Windows 8's New Ways to Manage Wireless, Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
This may be one of the best Windows release and a big leap forward from when Windows 95 hit the scene so long ago.

Look forward to the release of this OS.

Blues_wolf

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I don't know, I might wait for Windows 9. Microsoft has that weird cycle when they launch a buggy OS to test new things (95, Me, Vista) and a more stable OS with the things that worked (98, XP, 7)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
The WIFI aspect reads well; let's hope the actual integration works as advertised.
Still, I can not help but shudder at the GUI. Those square boxed will not find a home on my desktop.
It just looks plain ugly.

blingbling

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
[citation][nom]friskiest[/nom]This bandwidth saving feature of Windows 8 will be a boon to mobile users,.[/citation]
OK So, I didn't know what 'boon' meant. Now that I know its a thumbs up for you.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Impressive, wasn't giving W8 much thought until now. If this much thought/work went into wifi/broadband connectivity, I can only imagine what the rest of OS looks like.

With 4G becoming more popular, I can see a lot more folks going with 4g dongle for their mobile internet. This will be very useful.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]Blues_wolf[/nom]I don't know, I might wait for Windows 9. Microsoft has that weird cycle when they launch a buggy OS to test new things (95, Me, Vista) and a more stable OS with the things that worked (98, XP, 7)[/citation]
Windows 2000 was freggin awesome... IMHO, XP was a downgrade until SP2.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
So I saw WiFi, Bluetooth, and Mobile Broadband... any bets as to whether they also remembered WiDi, or whatever that computer-to-TV technology is called?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Why can't they just put this crap in Win7?

I hate the desktop and metro in Win8, for the first day just closing a program was a pain........ even the "control panel" via the desktop........

Keep it simple, stupid.......

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
Wow the thought that went into this is amazing. Win 8 is shaping up to be absolutely awesome. Can't wait.

nb2000nb

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Looks awesome. Can't wait for Windows 8 on an Intel Ultrabook / tablet.
I can't stand current tablets / tablet OSes. I need a full-blown OS on capable hardware!

How do I zip up files and email them? How do I remote into my desktop with ease? How do I play real games? How do I develop on the go? How do I install/create WHATEVER PROGRAM I WANT FROM WHOEVER/WHEREVER I WANT?
Give me a real OS!

BTW, if you don't like a feature in Windows, disable it. You pretty much have full control!
Metro can be disabled (at least on the Desktop/Laptop preview release)
There's still several months before release...

G

Win 2000 was awesome, true, but it was a totally different product line, remember? Win2k was an updated version of NT, which was a separate product line from the consumer versions. The poster above is still right - MS has a habit of launching one crap product with a lot of buggy new features, followed by a solid one.

As Win 7 has been the solid one following the crap that was Vista, we have a good chance Win 8 will be the next Win 95 / ME / Vista, while Win 9 will be the one that consumes the market (like 98 / XP / 7).

Status
Not open for further replies.