Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Setting up Remote Desktop

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 9:31:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I'm trying to setup and use remote desktop on a home network consisting of an
XP Pro system and a Windows-98SE system. I have installed the client
software from the XP CD on the '98 computer. I've tried to follow the
instructions in the help file to setup the XP Pro sustem to allow remote
access, but it doesn't recognize the '98 user. I know that the network is
functioning, because each machine can see the other and I can map network
drives and share files and a printer. Any help would be appreciated

More about : setting remote desktop

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 11:47:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Allen G wrote:
> I'm trying to setup and use remote desktop on a home network
> consisting of an XP Pro system and a Windows-98SE system. I have
> installed the client software from the XP CD on the '98 computer.
> I've tried to follow the instructions in the help file to setup the
> XP Pro sustem to allow remote access, but it doesn't recognize the
> '98 user. I know that the network is functioning, because each
> machine can see the other and I can map network drives and share
> files and a printer. Any help would be appreciated

So you have the Remote Desktop feature turned on for the XP system?
You have the firewall allowing access for the Remote Desktop port?
You run the software (mstsc.exe) on the Windows 98 machine and type in the
IP address of the other machine and you get.... what?

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 12:20:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

In addition to the comments by Shenan and Robin, look at this page of help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

"Allen G" <Allen G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5A07A58E-DE4B-49B3-985F-D7B5C7045FE2@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to setup and use remote desktop on a home network consisting of an
> XP Pro system and a Windows-98SE system. I have installed the client
> software from the XP CD on the '98 computer. I've tried to follow the
> instructions in the help file to setup the XP Pro sustem to allow remote
> access, but it doesn't recognize the '98 user. I know that the network is
> functioning, because each machine can see the other and I can map network
> drives and share files and a printer. Any help would be appreciated
Related resources
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:54:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Allen G <Allen G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to setup and use remote desktop on a home network
> consisting of an XP Pro system and a Windows-98SE system. I have
> installed the client software from the XP CD on the '98 computer.
> I've tried to follow the instructions in the help file to setup the
> XP Pro sustem to allow remote access, but it doesn't recognize the
> '98 user.

Can you describe what happens when you say "it doesn't recognise the '98
user"?

You need to configure XP to define which XP user accounts are allowed to log
in by Remote Desktop: they must be XP accounts which have a password
defined. The username and password to be used during Remote Desktop login
would then be whatever was previously defined on XP.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:55:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Robin and Shenan,

Thanks for responding to my question. The system I'm asking about is at
home, and I'm writing this at the office, so I may not get all of this
exactly right. In the setup window on the XP machine, I checked the box to
allow remote access. Then there is a dialog asking for user names. I enter
the user name of the Windows 98 system and click to have the system check for
that user. The system reports that it is not found.

Shenan, you asked about the firewall. How do I set the firewall to allow
access?

On the W'98 system, I click run-programs-accessories-remote_access, and a
dialog box comes up asking for the name of the system I want to connect to.
I enter the name of the XP machine, and my login password.

Allen G.

"Robin Walker" wrote:

> Allen G <Allen G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to setup and use remote desktop on a home network
> > consisting of an XP Pro system and a Windows-98SE system. I have
> > installed the client software from the XP CD on the '98 computer.
> > I've tried to follow the instructions in the help file to setup the
> > XP Pro sustem to allow remote access, but it doesn't recognize the
> > '98 user.
>
> Can you describe what happens when you say "it doesn't recognise the '98
> user"?
>
> You need to configure XP to define which XP user accounts are allowed to log
> in by Remote Desktop: they must be XP accounts which have a password
> defined. The username and password to be used during Remote Desktop login
> would then be whatever was previously defined on XP.
>
> --
> Robin Walker
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 8:25:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Allen G <AllenG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> In the setup window on the XP machine, I checked
> the box to allow remote access. Then there is a dialog asking for
> user names. I enter the user name of the Windows 98 system and click
> to have the system check for that user. The system reports that it
> is not found.

If the account is available it will be listed in the box at the top, you
should not need to "Add" anything (and indeed you cannot Add it in your
context). What the user of the Windows 98 system chooses to call himself is
irrelevant, and it cannot be found or checked from within XP. What matters
are the user accounts on the XP system. If one does not exist, then you
must create one on XP (control panel User Accounts) that the Win98 user can
use when logging on to the XP system.

Once you have created an XP account with a password, it will appear on the
checklist of accounts that can be enabled for login via Remote Desktop. Or
you can choose to use an existing account (your own?) with its existing
username and password.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 10:13:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks to all who responded. I got the desktop to work this evening. It was
just a question of not knowing that I was supposed to type a user name and
password that had already been setup on the XP machine. It seems obvious
now, but last night it completely escaped me. Thanks again.

Allen G.

"Allen G" wrote:

> I'm trying to setup and use remote desktop on a home network consisting of an
> XP Pro system and a Windows-98SE system. I have installed the client
> software from the XP CD on the '98 computer. I've tried to follow the
> instructions in the help file to setup the XP Pro sustem to allow remote
> access, but it doesn't recognize the '98 user. I know that the network is
> functioning, because each machine can see the other and I can map network
> drives and share files and a printer. Any help would be appreciated
!