JVC GR-D33U download issues

I just bought a JVC GR-D33U. My research prior to the purchase taught me
that this model can only download to a PC using firewire, or to put it
another way, not via USB.

I have installed a 1394 Belkin firewire card in my Win 2000 PC and the card
is recognized and everything seems happy. I also bought a 6 - 4 pin 1394
cable for this camcorder.

The camera came with Image Mixer v 1.7 software. For some reason I cannot
get the PC to recognize the camera. Since I could not find any instructions
in the owners manual I have no idea of what the camera's settings have to be
to make this happen. The IM software says "no camera detected", and Windows
does not see in My computer as a storage device. I have no problem
downloading pictures from my digital still cameras via USB, and I am not
unfamiliar with the process. Any advice would be appreciated, including
applicable camera settings for this process.

marko

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

I believe that win2k requires some drivers to utilize firewire, but if
you're getting the PC recognize the firewire card then you should be OK
(you might want to verify that its seeing the card in the Device
Manager and that there's not a yellow or red mark to the right of it).

Instead of that Image Mixer software, i'd use WinDV software which is
free, much smaller and works just fine. Do a google search in this
newsgroup (or on the web) for which website has this software. Its less
than 40KB in size. (WinDV, firewire, capture - search on those and you
should find it.)

marko

Distinguished
May 16, 2004

I don't know about Win2000, but WinXP doesn't show the
firewire-connected camera as a Removable Drive, but it does show up in
Windows Explorer at the bottom of the directory tree. In WinXP what
happens at the moment of connection is that a window pops up asking you
whether you would want Windows Movie Maker (and other Video Editing
software) to capture video from it. I'm sorry that I don't have a
Win2000 experience to lend knowledge there.

I'd think that once the camera is connected, it should appear in Device
Manager.
There is no special camera setting. I own this camera myself.

"marko" <marko.online@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I believe that win2k requires some drivers to utilize firewire, but if
> you're getting the PC recognize the firewire card then you should be OK
> (you might want to verify that its seeing the card in the Device
> Manager and that there's not a yellow or red mark to the right of it).
>
> Instead of that Image Mixer software, i'd use WinDV software which is
> free, much smaller and works just fine. Do a google search in this
> newsgroup (or on the web) for which website has this software. Its less
> than 40KB in size. (WinDV, firewire, capture - search on those and you
> should find it.)
Windows 2000 recognizes the card in device manager exactly as it should,
according to Belkin. I checked that before posting, and again just now just
to make sure all was still well. Do the video cameras connected by firewire
normally display as a drive in My Computer, the way still camera flash cards
do? I wonder if there is some special setting on the camera that I need to
use?

>Windows 2000 recognizes the card in device manager exactly as it should,
>according to Belkin. I checked that before posting, and again just now just
>to make sure all was still well. Do the video cameras connected by firewire
>normally display as a drive in My Computer, the way still camera flash cards
>do? I wonder if there is some special setting on the camera that I need to
>use?

The JVC GRD33 ( a very nice little camera for the price) needs to be
on Play. You need a capture program for firewire. Windows Movie Maker
will work.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

I had this same problem. Update to Service Pack 2 for XP, then install
this update from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

Trouble installing? Follow these tips:
http://neowin.net/comments.php?id=26338&category=main

Finally, change SidSpeed (in the registry) to 1
(explained in the MS link above)

marko wrote:
> I don't know about Win2000, but WinXP doesn't show the
> firewire-connected camera as a Removable Drive, but it does show up
in
> Windows Explorer at the bottom of the directory tree. In WinXP what
> happens at the moment of connection is that a window pops up asking
you
> whether you would want Windows Movie Maker (and other Video Editing
> software) to capture video from it. I'm sorry that I don't have a
> Win2000 experience to lend knowledge there.
>
> I'd think that once the camera is connected, it should appear in
Device
> Manager.
> There is no special camera setting. I own this camera myself.

The problem is resolved. I wish I could offer helpful information to others
who may have this problem but I'm afraid not.. I again rewound the brand new
tape that had two minutes of footage on it. This time I played the tape in
the camera, which I had not done previously. For reasons I can't explain
Image Mixer (came with the
camera) suddenly recognized the camera and I saved the video to my PC. It
makes no sense but it is working so I'll settle for that.

I have a laptop with XP on it. Is it worth burning the video to CD, and
transfering it to the laptop so I can use Movie Maker instead of Image
Mixer? In other words, is Movie Maker that much better that it's worth the
bother?

Thanks to all for your help.