Ulead DVD Workshop 2 trial disappeared!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2005 8:59:34 AM

Hello,

I installed DVD WS 2 - created a menu, added some video and choose to
render and burn to a DVD. I chose the 120 minute option the project
needed 8.5 gigs of space (available) + 3.5 gigs on a DVD-R -
(available).

It looked like it was going to take 10 hours to render - so I left it
over night. Next morning - the program is not on the task bar. No
errors. Only 1.39 G of the project is done.

This is the 2nd time this has happened.

Win2k SP3
RAM 512
80 gig HD

Zone Alarm and Avast Virus Scanner running.

I did try starting it again - it said it was running already. Of
course it is not in the systray or task bar.

If this was a limitation of the trial - I suspect it would tell me.
But I only had 4 menu items, no chapter points. It was a quick test.
It should have at least provided me an error?
Any one else experience this? Work around? Give up?

Thanks,

Tmuld.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 3:51:52 PM

"Tmuld" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I installed DVD WS 2 - created a menu, added some video and choose
> to render and burn to a DVD. I chose the 120 minute option the
> project needed 8.5 gigs of space (available) + 3.5 gigs on a DVD-R
> - (available).
>
> It looked like it was going to take 10 hours to render - so I left
> it over night. Next morning - the program is not on the task bar.
> No errors. Only 1.39 G of the project is done.
>
> This is the 2nd time this has happened.
>
> Win2k SP3
> RAM 512
> 80 gig HD
>
> Zone Alarm and Avast Virus Scanner running.
>
> I did try starting it again - it said it was running already. Of
> course it is not in the systray or task bar.
>
> If this was a limitation of the trial - I suspect it would tell
> me. But I only had 4 menu items, no chapter points. It was a
> quick test. It should have at least provided me an error?
> Any one else experience this? Work around? Give up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tmuld.

If it happens again, Ctrl-Alt-Delete is your friend (in XP, I'm a
little unsure about 2K).

Pressing C-A-D brings up the Task Manager, which gives a list of all
running programs, so you can see if DVD Workshop is actually still
running. There is also an End Process button on the Task Manager
window to kill the highlighted task, if that is of interest to you
:-)

There are also downloadable programs (Process Explorer is one, and
IIRC, it's free) that do much the same, perhaps giving you more
flexibility, information, and control.

I also concur with Chris Phillipo.

HTH,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
letters617blochg3251 (replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom")

In article <1107266374.453022.26330@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
tmuldoon@spliced.com says...
> Subject: Ulead DVD Workshop 2 trial disappeared!
> From: "Tmuld" <tmuldoon@spliced.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Hello,
>
> I installed DVD WS 2 - created a menu, added some video and choose to
> render and burn to a DVD. I chose the 120 minute option the project
> needed 8.5 gigs of space (available) + 3.5 gigs on a DVD-R -
> (available).
>
> It looked like it was going to take 10 hours to render - so I left it
> over night. Next morning - the program is not on the task bar. No
> errors. Only 1.39 G of the project is done.
>
> This is the 2nd time this has happened.
>
> Win2k SP3
> RAM 512
> 80 gig HD
>
> Zone Alarm and Avast Virus Scanner running.
>
> I did try starting it again - it said it was running already. Of
> course it is not in the systray or task bar.
>
> If this was a limitation of the trial - I suspect it would tell me.
> But I only had 4 menu items, no chapter points. It was a quick test.
> It should have at least provided me an error?
> Any one else experience this? Work around? Give up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tmuld.

I would try running something else for that period of time like a Divx
encoder so see if it also crashes. If it does it's usually due to heat
from an overclocked CPU or a failing fan, or bad memory.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

"Tmuld" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I installed DVD WS 2 - created a menu, added some video and choose to
> render and burn to a DVD. I chose the 120 minute option the project
> needed 8.5 gigs of space (available) + 3.5 gigs on a DVD-R -
> (available).
>
> It looked like it was going to take 10 hours to render - so I left it
> over night. Next morning - the program is not on the task bar. No
> errors. Only 1.39 G of the project is done.
>
> This is the 2nd time this has happened.
>
> Win2k SP3
> RAM 512
> 80 gig HD
>
> Zone Alarm and Avast Virus Scanner running.
>
> I did try starting it again - it said it was running already. Of
> course it is not in the systray or task bar.
>
> If this was a limitation of the trial - I suspect it would tell me.
> But I only had 4 menu items, no chapter points. It was a quick test.
> It should have at least provided me an error?
> Any one else experience this? Work around? Give up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tmuld.

Try Movie Factory 3, it might run better.
http://www.ulead.com/dmf/trial.htm Does the same thing..
!