Removing a logo from a video?

Is there software that'll take out a semi-transparent logo that's in the
corner of a video? Maybe by restoring the image showing through the logo,
or by extrapolating what's behind it by the movement of the image around
it. It seems that it could be a possible (albeit time-consuming) process.

I use Vegas Video for my editing, but I haven't seen anything like that in
the options.

jaybee

rep

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003

U could Rotoscpe the image frame by frame Ive done this before and
removed logos after effects 6.5.

Rep

"Jacques E. Bouchard" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Is there software that'll take out a semi-transparent logo that's in the
> corner of a video? Maybe by restoring the image showing through the logo,
> or by extrapolating what's behind it by the movement of the image around
> it. It seems that it could be a possible (albeit time-consuming) process.

no there is not. The logos are put there so people can not reuse the images
without consent. .. as you may be trying to do.
There is absolutely NO way that any software could replace pixels that do
not exist in the first place. No matter what anyone tells you.

"rep" <dvsinfo@dvs2000.com> wrote in message
>U could Rotoscpe the image frame by frame Ive done this before and
> removed logos after effects 6.5.
>

> Rep

There will be situations where you can remove the logo and replace it with
background from other parts of the frame. But in general this only works for
scenes where a it is possible to clone nearby portion of the image to the
logo area. Overall.. for most video you can tell when this was done.

"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in

> "Jacques E. Bouchard" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Is there software that'll take out a semi-transparent logo that's in
>> the corner of a video? Maybe by restoring the image showing through
>> the logo, or by extrapolating what's behind it by the movement of the
>> image around it. It seems that it could be a possible (albeit
>> time-consuming) process.
>
> no there is not. The logos are put there so people can not reuse the
> images without consent. .. as you may be trying to do.

The logo was put in by myself a few years ago, and I no longer have the
original to work with. Hence my effort to "restore" it to its original
state.

Thank you for proving once more the old usenet adage: ask a simple
question, get finger wagging and lip pursing instead.

jaybee

> Thank you for proving once more the old usenet adage: ask a simple
> question, get finger wagging and lip pursing instead.

As you should well know, since you've done it frequently in the screenplay
ng.

On 1 Feb 2005 18:48:12 GMT, "Jacques E. Bouchard"
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
>

>> "Jacques E. Bouchard" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Is there software that'll take out a semi-transparent logo that's in
>>> the corner of a video? Maybe by restoring the image showing through
>>> the logo, or by extrapolating what's behind it by the movement of the
>>> image around it. It seems that it could be a possible (albeit
>>> time-consuming) process.
>>
>> no there is not. The logos are put there so people can not reuse the
>> images without consent. .. as you may be trying to do.
>
>The logo was put in by myself a few years ago, and I no longer have the
>original to work with. Hence my effort to "restore" it to its original
>state.
>
>Thank you for proving once more the old usenet adage: ask a simple
>question, get finger wagging and lip pursing instead.

Mplayer can do this live. It's very expandable and if you spend a few
days! learning it, you'll no doubt be able to make it do what you
want.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html

I don't know how good a job it does though.

I suggest you also try a google search for "deLogo filter VirtualDub"
and look at that.

Here is some research on the subject if you become desperate:
http://mountains.ece.umn.edu/~guille/inpainting.htm

--
Owamanga!

> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
>

>> "Jacques E. Bouchard" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Is there software that'll take out a semi-transparent logo that's in
>>> the corner of a video? Maybe by restoring the image showing through
>>> the logo, or by extrapolating what's behind it by the movement of the
>>> image around it. It seems that it could be a possible (albeit
>>> time-consuming) process.
>>
>> no there is not. The logos are put there so people can not reuse the
>> images without consent. .. as you may be trying to do.
>
> The logo was put in by myself a few years ago, and I no longer have the
> original to work with. Hence my effort to "restore" it to its original
> state.
>
> Thank you for proving once more the old usenet adage: ask a simple
> question, get finger wagging and lip pursing instead.

you're very welcome. ! Just be careful or you'll poke your eye out.

"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 1 Feb 2005 18:48:12 GMT, "Jacques E. Bouchard"
> <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
>>

>>> "Jacques E. Bouchard" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> no there is not. The logos are put there so people can not reuse the
>>> images without consent. .. as you may be trying to do.
>>
>>The logo was put in by myself a few years ago, and I no longer have the
>>original to work with. Hence my effort to "restore" it to its original
>>state.
>>
>>Thank you for proving once more the old usenet adage: ask a simple
>>question, get finger wagging and lip pursing instead.
>
> Mplayer can do this live. It's very expandable and if you spend a few
> days! learning it, you'll no doubt be able to make it do what you
> want.
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html
>
> I don't know how good a job it does though.
>
> I suggest you also try a google search for "deLogo filter VirtualDub"
> and look at that.
>
> Here is some research on the subject if you become desperate:
> http://mountains.ece.umn.edu/~guille/inpainting.htm
>
> --
> Owamanga!

Owamanga strikes again.. !

Like I said.. I could be wrong. ;p)

On a sunny day (Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:30:43 GMT) it happened "nap"
<gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
<71PLd.10456$8Z1.10402@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>:

>There is absolutely NO way that any software could replace pixels that do
>not exist in the first place. No matter what anyone tells you.
No but you can make your own that is same size or bigger and cover it :)

I ought to know better than to make such concrete statements. they tend to
harden around your feet!

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:30:43 GMT, "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote:

>There is absolutely NO way that any software could replace pixels that do
>not exist in the first place. No matter what anyone tells you.

Tosh.

For a standard 30% transparent static logo there are four approaches I
can think of.

Approach 1:
The pixels are still there, just a little brighter than they were
before. In many cases this simply requires identifying it's shape and
darkening the pixels in that area by whatever % is needed.

Approach 2:
Most footage involves movement, which means pixel data can be tracked
moving into the logo area from all surrounding directions, and exiting
out of the logo area (we can see the future with a video stream) to be
used to reconstruct the missing logo area. This requires a filter with
temporal awareness.

Approach 3:
You crop the video, possibly introducing a new aspect ratio, to remove
the logo section.

Approach 4:
You whack a bigger non-transparent logo over the top of the old one.

So, I've described at least four ways of doing it, I am sure there are
more.

--
Owamanga!

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:30:43 GMT, "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote:
>
>>There is absolutely NO way that any software could replace pixels that do
>>not exist in the first place. No matter what anyone tells you.
>
> Tosh.
>
> For a standard 30% transparent static logo there are four approaches I
> can think of.
>
> Approach 1:
> The pixels are still there, just a little brighter than they were
> before. In many cases this simply requires identifying it's shape and
> darkening the pixels in that area by whatever % is needed.
>
> Approach 2:
> Most footage involves movement, which means pixel data can be tracked
> moving into the logo area from all surrounding directions, and exiting
> out of the logo area (we can see the future with a video stream) to be
> used to reconstruct the missing logo area. This requires a filter with
> temporal awareness.
>
> Approach 3:
> You crop the video, possibly introducing a new aspect ratio, to remove
> the logo section.
>
> Approach 4:
> You whack a bigger non-transparent logo over the top of the old one.
>
> So, I've described at least four ways of doing it, I am sure there are
> more.
>
> --
> Owamanga!

Approach 5:
You could use the "Region Remove" filter in VDubMod. Then touch-up
with a smudge tool, if needed.

Luck;
Ken

"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:30:43 GMT, "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote:
>
>>There is absolutely NO way that any software could replace pixels that do
>>not exist in the first place. No matter what anyone tells you.
>
> Tosh.
>
> For a standard 30% transparent static logo there are four approaches I
> can think of.
>
> Approach 1:
> The pixels are still there, just a little brighter than they were
> before. In many cases this simply requires identifying it's shape and
> darkening the pixels in that area by whatever % is needed.

Which will still yield a shadow or other anomoly that will give it away.

> Approach 2:
> Most footage involves movement, which means pixel data can be tracked
> moving into the logo area from all surrounding directions, and exiting
> out of the logo area (we can see the future with a video stream) to be
> used to reconstruct the missing logo area. This requires a filter with
> temporal awareness.

The problem with this approach is the tracking. Normal video is noisy and
tracking these pixels accurately is very tough. I would have to assume that
this approach would also not yield complete logo replacement. Would you
agree?

> Approach 3:
> You crop the video, possibly introducing a new aspect ratio, to remove
> the logo section.
>
> Approach 4:
> You whack a bigger non-transparent logo over the top of the old one.

Both of these will certainly work!

> So, I've described at least four ways of doing it, I am sure there are
> more.
>
> --
> Owamanga!

"Jacques E. Bouchard" wrote ...
> Is there software that'll take out a semi-transparent logo that's in
> the
> corner of a video? Maybe by restoring the image showing through the
> logo,
> or by extrapolating what's behind it by the movement of the image
> around
> it. It seems that it could be a possible (albeit time-consuming)
> process.

Google returns over 5 MILLION hits for "logo filter" including
the most popular at the very top of the list.

> "Jacques E. Bouchard" wrote ...
>> Is there software that'll take out a semi-transparent logo that's in the
>> corner of a video? Maybe by restoring the image showing through the logo,
>> or by extrapolating what's behind it by the movement of the image around
>> it. It seems that it could be a possible (albeit time-consuming) process.
>
> Google returns over 5 MILLION hits for "logo filter" including
> the most popular at the very top of the list.

By the second page they are almost all ways to apply a logo to
your video, not remove one. I have tried the ones on the first few
pages and found them lacking, when compared to "RegionRemove"
Google on that.

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>> "Jacques E. Bouchard" wrote ...
>>> Is there software that'll take out a semi-transparent logo that's in the
>>> corner of a video? Maybe by restoring the image showing through the
>>> logo,
>>> or by extrapolating what's behind it by the movement of the image around
>>> it. It seems that it could be a possible (albeit time-consuming)
>>> process.
>>
>> Google returns over 5 MILLION hits for "logo filter" including
>> the most popular at the very top of the list.
>
> By the second page they are almost all ways to apply a logo to
> your video, not remove one. I have tried the ones on the first few
> pages and found them lacking, when compared to "RegionRemove"
> Google on that.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

P.S. Don't use it inside Wax, because it won't have the "Preview"
window that way. It works in Wax but it is a lot easier with the
preview available.

mutley

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003

"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote:

>I ought to know better than to make such concrete statements. they tend to
>harden around your feet!
>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On a sunny day (Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:30:43 GMT) it happened "nap"
>> <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in
>> <71PLd.10456$8Z1.10402@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>:
>>
>>>There is absolutely NO way that any software could replace pixels that do
>>>not exist in the first place. No matter what anyone tells you.
>> No but you can make your own that is same size or bigger and cover it :)

Correct . My local Canwest station did a great job with software
removing the abc logo from 20/20