Hi,,

Basic question. We have a wireless network (no server - just file sharing
of 3 PC's) and someone wants to access the files from home (read and copy is
needed, write is not necessary but desired). If both are XP's, I know we can
do this - but can we do this and have someone working on the office PC at the
same time, or does it need to be dedicated to remote access while the remote
person is using? Can PC anywhere do this? how about remotepc?

thanks!

--
Coast

If you just want file access look at setting up a VPN...

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

If the PC acting as a VPN server is behind a firewall/NAT/router you will need to forward TCP Port
1723 and enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic. The later is sometimes called "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN
Pass Through".

Here is an example of how I do that with my XP Pro desktop so I can access files and ActiveSync my
iPAQ 5555 PocketPC from remote sites if need be...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WM2003PPTPVPN.html

Ignore the part about the PocketPC...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"coast to coast" <coasttocoast@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,,
>
> Basic question. We have a wireless network (no server - just file sharing
> of 3 PC's) and someone wants to access the files from home (read and copy is
> needed, write is not necessary but desired). If both are XP's, I know we can
> do this - but can we do this and have someone working on the office PC at the
> same time, or does it need to be dedicated to remote access while the remote
> person is using? Can PC anywhere do this? how about remotepc?
>
> thanks!
>
> --
> Coast

RemotePC (http://www.remotepc.com/) can help you in this case. You will
be able to remotely access various remote resources through an Internet
connection and across multiple Windows platforms. Not only will you be
able to access your data remotely, you will be able to transfer files
also. It is very fast and works behind most firewalls since it does not
require any special port settings.

Cheers
Hill