Question about printing to inkject printable DVD media

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 1, 2005 3:26:23 PM

I have a bunch of white matte, inkjet printable DVDs that already
have data burned onto them. Is it safe to print a label on these
DVDs using, say, the Epson r200 or any other appropriate inkjet
printer?
Running the DVD through the printer won't corrupt the data, will it?

Also, if anyone has comments on the following media I'd appreciate it:

Ritek/Ridata G04 DVD+R 4x white matte inkjet printable

I've burned about 100 of these and haven't had any trouble at all.
However, many people now speak disparagingly about the current crop
of Ritex G05 media. I'm getting the impression that Ritek is going
downhill. Any other recommendations for comparably-priced DVD+R 4x
white matte inkjet printable media. BeAll? Verbatim?

Thanks,
JB
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:35:47 PM

"joeblow" <joseph_blow16@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have a bunch of white matte, inkjet printable DVDs that already
> have data burned onto them. Is it safe to print a label on these
> DVDs using, say, the Epson r200 or any other appropriate inkjet
> printer?
> Running the DVD through the printer won't corrupt the data, will it?

I do that frequently. Never had damage to media.

Steve King
February 1, 2005 11:44:08 PM

On a sunny day (1 Feb 2005 12:26:23 -0800) it happened "joeblow"
<joseph_blow16@yahoo.com> wrote in
<1107289583.594808.242590@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>:

>I have a bunch of white matte, inkjet printable DVDs that already
>have data burned onto them. Is it safe to print a label on these
>DVDs using, say, the Epson r200 or any other appropriate inkjet
>printer?
>Running the DVD through the printer won't corrupt the data, will it?
Will be perfectly OK, I have doe ni tseveral times with the R200 and
Ritek 4x.

>Also, if anyone has comments on the following media I'd appreciate it:
>
>Ritek/Ridata G04 DVD+R 4x white matte inkjet printable
How do you know it is G-04 or G05? I see no marking at all?

>I've burned about 100 of these and haven't had any trouble at all.
>However, many people now speak disparagingly about the current crop
>of Ritex G05 media. I'm getting the impression that Ritek is going
>downhill.
Is 05 also a dark blueish layer?

> Any other recommendations for comparably-priced DVD+R 4x
>white matte inkjet printable media.
A the price it is hard to go wrong, even if you had 5 wrong in 50.

> BeAll? Verbatim?
Verbatim is OK, but +++++ more expensive.
And hard to get in 4x here.
February 1, 2005 11:56:03 PM

I have just started using datawrite platinum printable disks, so far they
seem pretty good, and they are full face printable as well. As for using the
R200 to print on them, it is an excellent printer, and the only time that
you should print onto dvd's is AFTER you have burned them. I have never had
corrupt data by doing this.

"joeblow" <joseph_blow16@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have a bunch of white matte, inkjet printable DVDs that already
> have data burned onto them. Is it safe to print a label on these
> DVDs using, say, the Epson r200 or any other appropriate inkjet
> printer?
> Running the DVD through the printer won't corrupt the data, will it?
>
> Also, if anyone has comments on the following media I'd appreciate it:
>
> Ritek/Ridata G04 DVD+R 4x white matte inkjet printable
>
> I've burned about 100 of these and haven't had any trouble at all.
> However, many people now speak disparagingly about the current crop
> of Ritex G05 media. I'm getting the impression that Ritek is going
> downhill. Any other recommendations for comparably-priced DVD+R 4x
> white matte inkjet printable media. BeAll? Verbatim?
>
> Thanks,
> JB

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:26:56 AM

"joeblow" <joseph_blow16@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have a bunch of white matte, inkjet printable DVDs that already
> have data burned onto them. Is it safe to print a label on these
> DVDs using, say, the Epson r200 or any other appropriate inkjet
> printer?
> Running the DVD through the printer won't corrupt the data, will it?

No, printing will not corrupt the data (unless you scratch them
which has nothing particularly to do with printing).

I print all my discs AFTER burning them (both audio and video).

> Also, if anyone has comments on the following media I'd appreciate it:
>
> Ritek/Ridata G04 DVD+R 4x white matte inkjet printable
>
> I've burned about 100 of these and haven't had any trouble at all.
> However, many people now speak disparagingly about the current crop
> of Ritex G05 media. I'm getting the impression that Ritek is going
> downhill. Any other recommendations for comparably-priced DVD+R 4x
> white matte inkjet printable media. BeAll? Verbatim?

I had 100% success rate with a couple of 100-disc spindles
of Verbatim (bought from Amazon on special). But I've read
that "Verbatim" discs are actually from several different sources
with the name branded on, so dunno how useful this is for
predicting future success. As the stock brokers say "Past
success is not a reliable indicator of future performance."
February 2, 2005 11:19:08 AM

Richard Crowley wrote:
> I had 100% success rate with a couple of 100-disc spindles
> of Verbatim (bought from Amazon on special). But I've read
> that "Verbatim" discs are actually from several different sources
> with the name branded on, so dunno how useful this is for
> predicting future success. As the stock brokers say "Past
> success is not a reliable indicator of future performance."

But, past performance is about all I have to go on, so I'll
stick with my Ritek G04 4x DVD+R media, which hasn't failed
me even once so far. I suppose if I searched hard enough I
could find horror story testimonials on just about every
DVD media out there.

JB
February 2, 2005 11:21:43 AM

Jan Panteltje wrote:

> >Ritek/Ridata G04 DVD+R 4x white matte inkjet printable
> How do you know it is G-04 or G05? I see no marking at all?

They were advertised as G04 discs. I bought them online at
www.cdrdvdrmedia.com

JB
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:40:57 AM

"joeblow" wrote ...
> Richard Crowley wrote:
>> I had 100% success rate with a couple of 100-disc spindles
>> of Verbatim (bought from Amazon on special). But I've read
>> that "Verbatim" discs are actually from several different sources
>> with the name branded on, so dunno how useful this is for
>> predicting future success. As the stock brokers say "Past
>> success is not a reliable indicator of future performance."
>
> But, past performance is about all I have to go on, so I'll
> stick with my Ritek G04 4x DVD+R media, which hasn't failed
> me even once so far. I suppose if I searched hard enough I
> could find horror story testimonials on just about every
> DVD media out there.

I did the same research and arrived at the same conclusion.
The last batch of DVDR disks I bought were Ritek. So far,
no problems.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:21:47 PM

On a sunny day (2 Feb 2005 08:21:43 -0800) it happened "joeblow"

OK, thank you! Mine (04) come from www.opus.nl (19 Euro for 50 now).
There also is a www.opusshop.de
!