Possible to VideoEdit or Capture Using an External HD ?

Sam

1)Is it possible to do videoediting (Pemiere Pro) using source video clips
located on an *external* hard disc
with either firewire (400/800) or USB2 Connectivity to the main PC? I am
thinking of buying external hard disk(s)
to store the ever growing volume of DV avi files from my camcorder so want
to know if I would have to copy them
back to an internal HD prior to editing.

Assumptions:
*When you "import" a video clip into premiere I'm guessing it justs
"reads"or points to the HD where the clip is
located so the video clip on an external HD stays on the external HD (hence
no need for high speed data transfer).
*Any editing or rendering occurs between Premiere (on its own internal
drive) and the pc's ram/cpu etc.(hence the
time consuming steps would be the same irrespective of the source clips
location)
*The edited preview files/rendered files are written back to the specified
External HD once saved
(not sure how much slower this would be)

2) Can you specify an External HD as the capture location (via Premiere Pro)
when capturing from your camcorder
and not drop frames etc?

Assumption:
*you can capture via Camcorder firewire to an internal HD so you should be
able to capture and write to an external
HD using firewire connectivity.

TIA

Sam

"Sam" <sam@dsst.nosnoop.com> wrote in message
> 1)Is it possible to do videoediting (Pemiere Pro) using source video clips
> located on an *external* hard disc

DEFINITELY

> with either firewire (400/800) or USB2 Connectivity to the main PC? I am
> thinking of buying external hard disk(s)
> to store the ever growing volume of DV avi files from my camcorder so want
> to know if I would have to copy them
> back to an internal HD prior to editing.

No, you don't have to copy them. I have an oldish FireWire HD & it does the
job very well. Don't know about USB HDs though.

> Assumptions:
> *When you "import" a video clip into premiere I'm guessing it justs
> "reads"or points to the HD where the clip is
> located so the video clip on an external HD stays on the external HD
> (hence no need for high speed data transfer).

Data transfer speed is important at capture time. I have captured lots of DV
onto the FireWire drive with no problems.

> *Any editing or rendering occurs between Premiere (on its own internal
> drive) and the pc's ram/cpu etc.(hence the
> time consuming steps would be the same irrespective of the source clips
> location)
> *The edited preview files/rendered files are written back to the specified
> External HD once saved
> (not sure how much slower this would be)

Using certain transitions/effects/filters is what makes a big rendering
speed difference, like applying a motion stabilization filter, now that
really slows it to a crawl even on a brand new PC

> 2) Can you specify an External HD as the capture location (via Premiere
> Pro) when capturing from your camcorder
> and not drop frames etc?

Sure, that's just what I do, I capture clips to the FireWire HD telling
Premiere Pro to abort on dropped frames, so far I've had no incidents.

> Assumption:
> *you can capture via Camcorder firewire to an internal HD so you should be
> able to capture and write to an external
> HD using firewire connectivity.

Only issue I can see here is if you're using the same set of FW ports, many
FW cards have, say, 3 ports so you'd use one for your cam, another for your
HD. In my case, the PC has 2 entirely separate FW ports, one @ the front &
one @ the back of the machine.

> TIA
>
> Sam