Remote Desktop connection speed lags after repeated connec..

Here's my dilema:

From home on a cable modem I VPN into my corporate office and then use
Remote Desktop to run my office system. All is well. I log off and later in
the day VPN back in and re-connect to my system via Remote Desktop. Now
Remote Desktop is basically unusable because anything I do has a 1-2 minute
delay...it's as if I'm on a 9600 baud modem!

The only fix (that I'm aware of) is to drive to work and reboot my system,
then go back home and tunnel in again and re-connect via Remote Desktop. All
will be well...until I log off and re-connect later.

Any ideas why I'm getting this horrible delay?
8 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection speed lags repeated connec

    Mad Force wrote:
    > Here's my dilema:
    >
    > From home on a cable modem I VPN into my corporate office and then use
    > Remote Desktop to run my office system. All is well. I log off and
    > later in the day VPN back in and re-connect to my system via Remote
    > Desktop. Now Remote Desktop is basically unusable because anything I
    > do has a 1-2 minute delay...it's as if I'm on a 9600 baud modem!
    >
    > The only fix (that I'm aware of) is to drive to work and reboot my
    > system, then go back home and tunnel in again and re-connect via
    > Remote Desktop. All will be well...until I log off and re-connect
    > later.
    >
    > Any ideas why I'm getting this horrible delay?

    Are you logging off, or disconnecting, from the RD session?
    What do you see in the event logs on the host/RD computer?

    I disconnect my RDC when done. Event log shows:

    The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server
    DNS/ccedcam01.americas.hpqcorp.net. No authentication protocol was available.

    I'm not sure why this appears-my connection (VPN) works fine.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > Mad Force wrote:
    > > Here's my dilema:
    > >
    > > From home on a cable modem I VPN into my corporate office and then use
    > > Remote Desktop to run my office system. All is well. I log off and
    > > later in the day VPN back in and re-connect to my system via Remote
    > > Desktop. Now Remote Desktop is basically unusable because anything I
    > > do has a 1-2 minute delay...it's as if I'm on a 9600 baud modem!
    > >
    > > The only fix (that I'm aware of) is to drive to work and reboot my
    > > system, then go back home and tunnel in again and re-connect via
    > > Remote Desktop. All will be well...until I log off and re-connect
    > > later.
    > >
    > > Any ideas why I'm getting this horrible delay?
    >
    > Are you logging off, or disconnecting, from the RD session?
    > What do you see in the event logs on the host/RD computer?

    As Lanwench asked...have you tried logging off versus disconnecting?

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Mad Force" <MadForce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I disconnect my RDC when done. Event log shows:
    >
    > The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server
    > DNS/ccedcam01.americas.hpqcorp.net. No authentication protocol was available.
    >
    > I'm not sure why this appears-my connection (VPN) works fine.
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >
    >> Mad Force wrote:
    >> > Here's my dilema:
    >> >
    >> > From home on a cable modem I VPN into my corporate office and then use
    >> > Remote Desktop to run my office system. All is well. I log off and
    >> > later in the day VPN back in and re-connect to my system via Remote
    >> > Desktop. Now Remote Desktop is basically unusable because anything I
    >> > do has a 1-2 minute delay...it's as if I'm on a 9600 baud modem!
    >> >
    >> > The only fix (that I'm aware of) is to drive to work and reboot my
    >> > system, then go back home and tunnel in again and re-connect via
    >> > Remote Desktop. All will be well...until I log off and re-connect
    >> > later.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas why I'm getting this horrible delay?
    >>
    >> Are you logging off, or disconnecting, from the RD session?
    >> What do you see in the event logs on the host/RD computer?

    I'm not sure what you mean. When I want to "end" my RDC, I move my mouse to
    the top of the window and select the "X" on the drop down that appears to
    end my RDC session. Is there another way to end RDC?

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > As Lanwench asked...have you tried logging off versus disconnecting?
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Mad Force" <MadForce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I disconnect my RDC when done. Event log shows:
    > >
    > > The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server
    > > DNS/ccedcam01.americas.hpqcorp.net. No authentication protocol was available.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure why this appears-my connection (VPN) works fine.

    > >> Are you logging off, or disconnecting, from the RD session?
    > >> What do you see in the event logs on the host/RD computer?

    Let me add more information:

    I drove into work to reboot the problem system. After rebooting, I RDC into
    it via a second system in my office, then disconnected, then RDC'd in
    again...and so on and so on and so on. Each time I used RDC to connect I was
    able to run my system with no problem. These were two systems sitting
    side-by-side in my office.

    As soon as I got home, I VPN'd in, connected to my office system and found
    everythign worked great. I then disconnected and reconnected five minutes
    later and now the connection is useless...anything I do only works half-way.
    If I click something, the object will highlight, but then I can't do anythign
    with it. It's like I'm on a 9600 baud modem!!!!

    What could possibly be causing my office system to work the first time I RDC
    in from home and then never again until I drive to work and reboot the
    fricking thing! This is really starting to piss me off!!!

    Both systems are XP Pro running SP1a on my office system and SP2 on the home
    system. No third party firewall is on either system. If I VPN into my
    office system, from home, I can' access files without any delays. It's only
    when I use RDC that the problems begin.

    Turns out the problem was the way I was shutting down RDC connection - I
    never knew that I was supposed to use Start > Disconnect...I always just
    clicked the X in to close the RDC window.

    "Mad Force" wrote:

    > I disconnect my RDC when done. Event log shows:
    >
    > The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server
    > DNS/ccedcam01.americas.hpqcorp.net. No authentication protocol was available.
    >
    > I'm not sure why this appears-my connection (VPN) works fine.
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >
    > > Mad Force wrote:
    > > > Here's my dilema:
    > > >
    > > > From home on a cable modem I VPN into my corporate office and then use
    > > > Remote Desktop to run my office system. All is well. I log off and
    > > > later in the day VPN back in and re-connect to my system via Remote
    > > > Desktop. Now Remote Desktop is basically unusable because anything I
    > > > do has a 1-2 minute delay...it's as if I'm on a 9600 baud modem!
    > > >
    > > > The only fix (that I'm aware of) is to drive to work and reboot my
    > > > system, then go back home and tunnel in again and re-connect via
    > > > Remote Desktop. All will be well...until I log off and re-connect
    > > > later.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas why I'm getting this horrible delay?
    > >
    > > Are you logging off, or disconnecting, from the RD session?
    > > What do you see in the event logs on the host/RD computer?

    did your new way of disconnecting RDC solve the lagging problem?

    "Mad Force" wrote:

    > Turns out the problem was the way I was shutting down RDC connection - I
    > never knew that I was supposed to use Start > Disconnect...I always just
    > clicked the X in to close the RDC window.
    >
    > "Mad Force" wrote:
    >
    > > I disconnect my RDC when done. Event log shows:
    > >
    > > The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server
    > > DNS/ccedcam01.americas.hpqcorp.net. No authentication protocol was available.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure why this appears-my connection (VPN) works fine.

    > > > Are you logging off, or disconnecting, from the RD session?
    > > > What do you see in the event logs on the host/RD computer?

    Yes it did fix the problem. What a relief! I was fighting this for several
    nights and getting really tired of having to drive to work to reboot my
    machine.

    What I do not understand is why does that drop down from the top of the
    window appear and allow me to disconnect (by clicking the X)? If I click the
    "X", it asks me to confirm if I want to "...disconnect the session...", which
    is the same wording as going to Start > Disconnect. The only difference is
    using the "X" will leave the remote system (host) in an unstable state and
    further re-connects will be seriously bogged down.

    Also, I use RDC at work (I use my laptop to RDC into my office system while
    sitting in boring meetings) and I have always used the "X" to
    disconnect...and I'll do this 5-6 times a day and never have a lag like I do
    if I VPN in from home and disconnect via the "X". Apparently this lag only
    occurs when tunneling in.

    "Schmidty" wrote:

    > did your new way of disconnecting RDC solve the lagging problem?
    >
    > "Mad Force" wrote:
    >
    > > Turns out the problem was the way I was shutting down RDC connection - I
    > > never knew that I was supposed to use Start > Disconnect...I always just
    > > clicked the X in to close the RDC window.
    > >
    > > "Mad Force" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I disconnect my RDC when done. Event log shows:
    > > >
    > > > The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server
    > > > DNS/ccedcam01.americas.hpqcorp.net. No authentication protocol was available.
    > > >
    > > > I'm not sure why this appears-my connection (VPN) works fine.

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP