Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pictures are blurred with lenses

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:57:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

I have a NIKON Coolpix 5000 that I love and get beautiful pictures. I bought
the wide angle lens WC-E68 and the TC-E2 with the appropriate adapters.

However, I get shaky pictures when I use the lens. I made one setting change
on User Setting 1 to use the Wide angle and on User Setting 2 to use the
telephoto.

Also, after I depress the shutter the camera is very slow in taking the
picture and I thought I was shaking the camera before the shutter was
closing. However, using a tripod yields no better results.

Please tell me what I am doing or not doing (for that matter).

Thanks,

Anne
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:22:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

1. Are those lenses the Nikon recommended ones, for that camera?
Some lens adapters simply will not work with some lenses.

2. Have you read the manual to see if any *other* settings may be
required?
Many digicams need to be placed in 'Macro' or 'Extension Lens' mode, to
change the focussing to suit the added lens.

Are they *all* blurred? You say they are shaky - motion blur looks
quite different to out of focus - can you post some samples? Can you
try manual focus with that camera?

Lastly, all add-on lenses will result in a loss of quality - how much,
depends on a lot of things..
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:05:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

All the lenses that I bought are Nikon lens with Nikon lens adapters. Paid a
lot of money too :-(

I have pored over the manual and the internet but no one talks about having
any other settings. The loss of quality that I am seeing is plain
unacceptable. I have seen some sample pictures with coolpix and the lenses
posted over the internet and they are all definitely superb.

Maybe I am using the wrong words - I get "ghosted" double images with the 2x
Telephoto and they are both sharp (although one is the ghost).

I do not have a place post samples but I am sure I can find one or send them
to you via my gmail account.

Thanks,

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
news:1119691327.199341.94650@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> 1. Are those lenses the Nikon recommended ones, for that camera?
> Some lens adapters simply will not work with some lenses.
>
> 2. Have you read the manual to see if any *other* settings may be
> required?
> Many digicams need to be placed in 'Macro' or 'Extension Lens' mode, to
> change the focussing to suit the added lens.
>
> Are they *all* blurred? You say they are shaky - motion blur looks
> quite different to out of focus - can you post some samples? Can you
> try manual focus with that camera?
>
> Lastly, all add-on lenses will result in a loss of quality - how much,
> depends on a lot of things..
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:21:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:57:14 GMT, "ag" <ag@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I have a NIKON Coolpix 5000 that I love and get beautiful pictures. I bought
>the wide angle lens WC-E68 and the TC-E2 with the appropriate adapters.
>
>However, I get shaky pictures when I use the lens. I made one setting change
>on User Setting 1 to use the Wide angle and on User Setting 2 to use the
>telephoto.
>
>Also, after I depress the shutter the camera is very slow in taking the
>picture and I thought I was shaking the camera before the shutter was
>closing. However, using a tripod yields no better results.
>
>Please tell me what I am doing or not doing (for that matter).

With its 28-85mm lens and 2x teleconverter you get 170mm
(35mm-eqvivalent). General "rules" (1/focal length for slowest
shutter speed you should use) state that you then should use 1/250
as your slowest shutter speed at the long end to avoid camera shake.
You can raise the ISO to get that speed. From dpreview I
gather that beyond ISO 200 is not very attractive - but I prefer
noise over blur!

The 2x TC also steals a lot of light, typically 2 (or was
that 2^2?) f-stops. That will account for some of the slow picture
taking because less light often means slower auto-focus.

Also, when possible, use the (short, 2 second?) self-timer
to help avoiding blured pictures in the picture taking moment giving
you some time to brace yourself.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:16:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

>I do not have a place post samples but I am sure I can find one or send them
>to you via my gmail account.


Post to alt.binaries.photos.original

Lot's of help here from strangers. Many with lots of digixperience.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 8:46:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

>I get "ghosted" double images with the 2x Telephoto
>and they are both sharp

'Ghosting' *definitely* sounds like motion blur, and it will look
exactly like you have decribed if you are using the flash and the
camera is being forced to use a shutter speed that is too slow for the
focal length. As stated by Rolf, if you are not up around 1/200 of a
second or faster, then that is what will happen.. And yes, the
attached lenses will probably make the AF go slower = more shutter lag
= big chance that you will move the camera before the shot is complete.


And one small correction to Rolf's post - *front* mounted
teleconverters do *not* reduce the light level significantly (at least
not on most lens designs). The loss of a couple of stops normally only
applies to teleconverters mounted between the lens and sensor/film.
!