Rebooting XP workstation remotely via RDP

December 26, 2004 12:45:08 PM

How can I reboot a workstation running XP Pro SP2 remotely via RDP? I have
the alternate ports & firewall worked out so that I have access, but
Shutdown/Restart options are not available from the Start menu, and sometimes
I need to reboot remotely.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 2:59:51 PM

Various ways...

You can do a <Ctrl><Alt><End> and bring up the remote Task Manager. Then select the "Shutdown" menu
at the top of the Task Manager window and select the desired action. You can also use the "tsshutdn"
or "shutdown" commands from the command line on the remote machine. Open "Help and Support" and
search on each for the proper syntax.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I reboot a workstation running XP Pro SP2 remotely via RDP? I have
> the alternate ports & firewall worked out so that I have access, but
> Shutdown/Restart options are not available from the Start menu, and sometimes
> I need to reboot remotely.
December 26, 2004 2:59:52 PM

Thanks.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Various ways...
>
> You can do a <Ctrl><Alt><End> and bring up the remote Task Manager. Then select the "Shutdown" menu
> at the top of the Task Manager window and select the desired action. You can also use the "tsshutdn"
> or "shutdown" commands from the command line on the remote machine. Open "Help and Support" and
> search on each for the proper syntax.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I reboot a workstation running XP Pro SP2 remotely via RDP? I have
> > the alternate ports & firewall worked out so that I have access, but
> > Shutdown/Restart options are not available from the Start menu, and sometimes
> > I need to reboot remotely.

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 3:59:50 PM

On the Remote machine run Taks Manager (either right click on the
taskbar and select it or use the CTRL+ALT+END key combination and
select it from the Securtiy box).
Look for Shutdown on the taskbar and select Restart from the drop
down menu.
You'll have to reestablish you're remote connection.

Nepatsfan
!