standby on XL1 or XL2

I was at a shoot and I saw where the XL1 had the red light on all the time.
The manual says to use the standby button, but it does not explain to good
what it does. I know if the camera is left on without using the camera
turns off?, but what happens when the standby button is used, are the heads
running.

standby is the same as letting it turn itself off. The 'tally ' light can be
set to turn on for record or not.