Connecting to my Home Office Computer

Hello,

I am working with XP Pro. I have made an incoming network connection.

In the General Tab, I have...
- Direct Parallel (LPT1)
- Virtual private network
- Checked - "Allow others to make private connections to my computer by
tunneling through the Internet or other network."
- Checked - "Show icon in notification area when connected."

In the Users Tab, I have...
- Administrator
- My Name
checked.

In the Netowrking Tab
- All checked.

From a separate computer, what procedure do I follow to get into my
computer? Do I type http://myipaddress? or something else?

Is there anything set up incorrectly with the Incoming Connection?
--
Thanks!

Steve
1 answer Last reply
More about connecting home office computer

    Steve wrote:

    > I am working with XP Pro. I have made an incoming network connection.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > From a separate computer, what procedure do I follow to get into my
    > computer? Do I type http://myipaddress? or something else?

    What you have done is set up a VPN endpoint to receive incoming VPN
    connections, such as PPTP. The only way to connect to such a VPN endpoint
    is to use the VPN client available in most versions of Windows, by running
    the "New Connection Wizard" to create and configure a VPN client.

    The only thing you will be able to do with a VPN connection is to use any
    file shares that you have made, or route network traffic through your XP PC.
    It will not, for instance, enable you to take remote control of your XP PC.

    Whether this is what you were trying to do remains to be seen. If you
    wanted to investigate remote control, you should be looking at Remote
    Desktop rather than VPN.

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Network Connection Computers Office Windows XP