Error 1231

I set up a wireless network with the XP Home Network Setup Wizard. The
equipment is cable-based with a Belkin Router, USB Desktop Adapter and Laptop
Adapter. I designated a laser printer attached to LPT1 on the desktop
computer (i.e. the Print Server) as Shared. The desktop Computer Name is
Sportsware and the Share Name for the printer is HPLaserJ.

When I enter "net use LPT1: \\Sportsware\HPLaserJ /persistent:yes" from a
Command Prompt I get the 1231 Error - "the network could not be reached".
What's up?
--
Tom Buggy

Curious, are you able to ping \\Sportsware from a command prompt? or ping
its IP?

Have you tried mapping it using \\192.***.***.***(your IP address)\HPLaserJ
?

"TomB" <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I set up a wireless network with the XP Home Network Setup Wizard. The
> equipment is cable-based with a Belkin Router, USB Desktop Adapter and
> Laptop
> Adapter. I designated a laser printer attached to LPT1 on the desktop
> computer (i.e. the Print Server) as Shared. The desktop Computer Name is
> Sportsware and the Share Name for the printer is HPLaserJ.
>
> When I enter "net use LPT1: \\Sportsware\HPLaserJ /persistent:yes" from a
> Command Prompt I get the 1231 Error - "the network could not be reached".
> What's up?
> --
> Tom Buggy

Adam, thanks for your response. To address your questions:

-- I CANNOT Ping \\SportsWare (message says "Can't find host")
-- I CAN Ping the computer's IP Address
-- I CAN Ping the Default Gateway's IP address
-- Net Use lpt1: with either \\Sportsware\HPLaserJ or \\IP address\HPLaserJ
DOES
NOT work (get the 1231 error).

I do not have an IP address for the DNS Server. The settings say to obtain
it automatically.

"Adam Membrey" wrote:

> Curious, are you able to ping \\Sportsware from a command prompt? or ping
> its IP?
>
> Have you tried mapping it using \\192.***.***.***(your IP address)\HPLaserJ
> ?
>

> "TomB" <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I set up a wireless network with the XP Home Network Setup Wizard. The
> > equipment is cable-based with a Belkin Router, USB Desktop Adapter and
> > Laptop
> > Adapter. I designated a laser printer attached to LPT1 on the desktop
> > computer (i.e. the Print Server) as Shared. The desktop Computer Name is
> > Sportsware and the Share Name for the printer is HPLaserJ.
> >
> > When I enter "net use LPT1: \\Sportsware\HPLaserJ /persistent:yes" from a
> > Command Prompt I get the 1231 Error - "the network could not be reached".
> > What's up?
> > --
> > Tom Buggy

A followup:

If I enter "Ping Sportsware" (i.e. without the \\ prefix) it works. It
shows the stats of Sportsware with the IP address in parentheses. However, I
still get the 1231 Error on the Net Use command for the HPLaserJ printer.

"TomB" wrote:

> Adam, thanks for your response. To address your questions:
>
> -- I CANNOT Ping \\SportsWare (message says "Can't find host")
> -- I CAN Ping the computer's IP Address
> -- I CAN Ping the Default Gateway's IP address
> -- Net Use lpt1: with either \\Sportsware\HPLaserJ or \\IP address\HPLaserJ
> DOES
> NOT work (get the 1231 error).
>
> I do not have an IP address for the DNS Server. The settings say to obtain
> it automatically.
>
> "Adam Membrey" wrote:
>
> > Curious, are you able to ping \\Sportsware from a command prompt? or ping
> > its IP?
> >
> > Have you tried mapping it using \\192.***.***.***(your IP address)\HPLaserJ
> > ?
> >

> > "TomB" <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I set up a wireless network with the XP Home Network Setup Wizard. The
> > > equipment is cable-based with a Belkin Router, USB Desktop Adapter and
> > > Laptop
> > > Adapter. I designated a laser printer attached to LPT1 on the desktop
> > > computer (i.e. the Print Server) as Shared. The desktop Computer Name is
> > > Sportsware and the Share Name for the printer is HPLaserJ.
> > >
> > > When I enter "net use LPT1: \\Sportsware\HPLaserJ /persistent:yes" from a
> > > Command Prompt I get the 1231 Error - "the network could not be reached".
> > > What's up?
> > > --
> > > Tom Buggy

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

TomB wrote:
> A followup:
>
> If I enter "Ping Sportsware" (i.e. without the \\ prefix) it works. It
> shows the stats of Sportsware with the IP address in parentheses. However, I
> still get the 1231 Error on the Net Use command for the HPLaserJ printer.
>
> "TomB" wrote:
>

>>Adam, thanks for your response. To address your questions:
>>
>>-- I CANNOT Ping \\SportsWare (message says "Can't find host")
>>-- I CAN Ping the computer's IP Address
>>-- I CAN Ping the Default Gateway's IP address
>>-- Net Use lpt1: with either \\Sportsware\HPLaserJ or \\IP address\HPLaserJ
>>DOES
>> NOT work (get the 1231 error).
>>
>>I do not have an IP address for the DNS Server. The settings say to obtain
>>it automatically.
>>
>>"Adam Membrey" wrote:
>>

>>>Curious, are you able to ping \\Sportsware from a command prompt? or ping
>>>its IP?
>>>
>>>Have you tried mapping it using \\192.***.***.***(your IP address)\HPLaserJ
>>>?
>>>

>>>"TomB" <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

WTF that error number is the same combination as my luggage!