Detecting a slow WAN link

December 29, 2004 11:18:22 AM

I am trying to figure out how to prevent our XP machines from running
logoff scripts when users are connected over the VPN. I have set our
slow link threshold in group policy to 1000Kbps, but no matter what I
do, my XP machines never seem to detect a slow link. When I run
gpresult, it does show that the slow link threshold is 1000Kbps, but
even if I am on a 28.8 dialup connection to the VPN, it always says
"Connected over a slow link?: No".

Am I missing something?
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:48:22 PM

First - I'll give a possible workaround...

Your script can possibly be updated to detect whether or not it is
connected via a VPN and act appropriately. This capability is easily
added to KixTart Script and a VBS example is available at
http://www.codeproject.com/internet/rasconnection.asp

Also, note per
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;227369&sd=tech

"NOTE: "Scripts policy processing" to "Allow processing across a slow
network connection" should be interpreted as only logon/logoff scripts
from the user configuration of the Group Policy. Scripts from the
computer configuration (startup/shutdown) will not be processed over a
slow link."

---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com