Help with PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 5, 2005 3:11:36 PM

Dear All,

I hope this is not out of the realms of this group, but here goes..

Can you can up with a good spec and sources of Mother Board, Graphics
Card, Editing Card, DVD burner, Memory and Hard Drive for home digital
video editing.

Regarding budget, it needs to be cheap as chips.

Thanks in advance.

Please replace nospam with gencosystems.

Graham.

More about : question

February 5, 2005 3:11:37 PM

Graham Venning. wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I hope this is not out of the realms of this group, but here goes..
>
> Can you can up with a good spec and sources of Mother Board, Graphics
> Card, Editing Card, DVD burner, Memory and Hard Drive for home digital
> video editing.
>
> Regarding budget, it needs to be cheap as chips.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Please replace nospam with gencosystems.
>
> Graham.

Not a bad question Graham, but in general whatever makes a good fast
reliable pc will make a good video editing station.

Unless you buy something all set up with the software from Dell or such
then you are just going to have to make a lot of decisions.

Go to toms hardware or anandtech to see their reviews.

The base pc, haddrive, memory is no big deal. Just get something fast
and reliable.

I went with an ASUS with AMD Barton at about 2Ghz but anything like that
should be fine.

Now you have to decide how you want to capture, with a card?, mpeg in
hardware/software, firewire & usb2, digital camcorder?
This will depend on what kind of video you already have or are you
starting clean with new original digital video.

I decided not to go thru video capture card route but to use a sony
digital camera to provide pass thru to 1394 and do eveything else in
software on the pc. The only unique hardware I needed was a 1394 card.
LOts of new pc's have a 1394 port standard these day. Then the skys
the limit on perfomance space etc on the pc. It depends on your budget $$$.

BTW, get a good comfortable chair as well. This takes a lot of time.

have fun
Don
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 3:11:38 PM

I am using an emachines T2899 which has a dual layer DVD & CD burner,
AMD athelon 2800+ processor , 512 meg memory and 160 gb hard drive.
17" monitor which will do 1280 x 1024 resolution and a color printer.
nvidia geforce 4 mx on motherboard.

With rebates $499.

I added an analogue capture card because my source is VHS tape. I get
my other material on cd or dvd.

This is not top-of-line but I have not had any problems with it.

>From habit I stop everything thats running while burning or capturing.
I am from the days where burning a cd meant scsi hard drives, a
special preparation of files to burn , nothing else running and a bit
of luck.
February 6, 2005 1:05:03 PM

Mark & Don,

Ive heard that Intel chip set for video editing (C.O.D.E.C's & stuff)
and AMD chip sets for gaming.

Is this a mith??

Thanks

Graham

marks542004@yahoo.com wrote:

>I am using an emachines T2899 which has a dual layer DVD & CD burner,
>AMD athelon 2800+ processor , 512 meg memory and 160 gb hard drive.
>17" monitor which will do 1280 x 1024 resolution and a color printer.
>nvidia geforce 4 mx on motherboard.
>
>With rebates $499.
>
>I added an analogue capture card because my source is VHS tape. I get
>my other material on cd or dvd.
>
>This is not top-of-line but I have not had any problems with it.
>
>>From habit I stop everything thats running while burning or capturing.
> I am from the days where burning a cd meant scsi hard drives, a
>special preparation of files to burn , nothing else running and a bit
>of luck.

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:05:04 PM

"Graham Venning." <graham@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Mark & Don,
>
> Ive heard that Intel chip set for video editing (C.O.D.E.C's & stuff)
> and AMD chip sets for gaming.
>
> Is this a mith??

They are probably equally capable of spell-checking.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:47:07 PM

So which is best for video editing?

Richard Crowley wrote:

> "Graham Venning." <graham@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Mark & Don,
>>
>> Ive heard that Intel chip set for video editing (C.O.D.E.C's & stuff)
>> and AMD chip sets for gaming.
>>
>> Is this a mith??
>

> They are probably equally capable of spell-checking.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:47:08 PM

"Graham Venning." wrote ...
> So which is best for video editing? [Intel vs AMD]

I have seen several software products that were written to
take advantage of special functions that were designed into
the Intel processor chips and state as much in the requirements
blurb on the box. Of course AMD likely isn't sitting on its
hands and is dutifully running along playing catch-up. For
further reference, there are places like Tom's Hardware that
keep up with such things.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:47:09 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 05:40:08 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"Graham Venning." wrote ...
>> So which is best for video editing? [Intel vs AMD]
>
>I have seen several software products that were written to
>take advantage of special functions that were designed into
>the Intel processor chips and state as much in the requirements
>blurb on the box. Of course AMD likely isn't sitting on its
>hands and is dutifully running along playing catch-up. For
>further reference, there are places like Tom's Hardware that
>keep up with such things.

Intel's advantage at the present time is Multithreading. The apps
ideally need to be written to take advantage of it, or (in a few
cases) the multithreading can break the app.
AMD's Athlon 64 pretty much negates Multithreading's speed advantage
by sheer speed.
AMD will have their dual-core on the market before Intel; Itanium
doesn't count, because it's not available to the non-server community
(unless you really want to use server MBs).
AMD is no longer playing catch-up, and hasn't been for some time now.
When dual-core and 64-bit PCs hit their stride (probably 2nd quarter
'06), look out!

For the consumer, this means more performance, and lower prices for
it.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"