How come I cannot get any info on Wake On Lan thru a router?
Is this a guarded secret?
I have Magic Packets coming out my Yahoo,pulled out what little hair I had
and started drinking at 8:00 AM(during the holidays of course),and I still
can't get it.
All kidding aside,if anyone knows I'm sure alot of us would very
appreciative.
BTW I have latest in motherboards on 2 machines with a Microsoft 700MN
router.

Happy Holidays to all,

Gary

Gary Broom wrote:

> How come I cannot get any info on Wake On Lan thru a router?

Not all routers can do this trick.

Because the PCs you are trying to wake do not have an IP address (they are
asleep), the Magic Packet must be BROADCAST into the LAN. This way the
packet will be seen by all NICs on the LAN, and the one which matches the
magic pattern should wake up.

How you get your router to broadcast into the LAN will depend on the model
of router. Some routers can do it by forwarding to address .255 in the LAN.

So, if your LAN is on, say, 192.168.1.xxx, and your magic packet comes in on
UDP port 9 (say), then you need to forward UDP port 9 to 192.168.1.255.

However, not all routers will accept such a configuration as requesting a
LAN-side broadcast. It depends on your router.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

I assign an static IP to the machine and it works , even via internet.
routers and ISPs may block broadcasts.

no static ip? get a virtual static ip. it works.