Remote Desktop connection timeout while im connected.

Hiya everyone,

I have a question about Remote Desktop client/server.
I am able to connect and to use it without any problems
but when i idle for like 2-3 minutes, the connection is
cutting off and i have to re-connect and re-enter my username
and password.

Is there a way to stop this idle disconnection problem?
The connection stay if im doing stuff on it. But sometime i have to be idle
and don't want to logon again and again..

Thanks for your informations/reply..

D. Gauthier
8 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection timeout connected

    What OS are you running on the "server" side? Windows XP?
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:17:02 -0800, "Dominic Gauthier" <Dominic
    Gauthier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hiya everyone,
    >
    >I have a question about Remote Desktop client/server.
    >I am able to connect and to use it without any problems
    >but when i idle for like 2-3 minutes, the connection is
    >cutting off and i have to re-connect and re-enter my username
    >and password.
    >
    >Is there a way to stop this idle disconnection problem?
    >The connection stay if im doing stuff on it. But sometime i have to be idle
    >and don't want to logon again and again..
    >
    >Thanks for your informations/reply..
    >
    >D. Gauthier

    Hi!

    I am using Windows XP SP2 Professional as the "server" side.
    The client is the Remote Desktop included on the original WinXP cd.

    D. Gauthier

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > What OS are you running on the "server" side? Windows XP?
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    > Windows Network Technology Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    > Windows Home Networking Community -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >

    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:17:02 -0800, "Dominic Gauthier" <Dominic
    > Gauthier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hiya everyone,
    > >
    > >I have a question about Remote Desktop client/server.
    > >I am able to connect and to use it without any problems
    > >but when i idle for like 2-3 minutes, the connection is
    > >cutting off and i have to re-connect and re-enter my username
    > >and password.
    > >
    > >Is there a way to stop this idle disconnection problem?
    > >The connection stay if im doing stuff on it. But sometime i have to be idle
    > >and don't want to logon again and again..
    > >
    > >Thanks for your informations/reply..
    > >
    > >D. Gauthier

    When you reconnect, are you getting a new session, or do you continue
    with your old session?
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:57:02 -0800, "Dominic Gauthier"
    <DominicGauthier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >I am using Windows XP SP2 Professional as the "server" side.
    >The client is the Remote Desktop included on the original WinXP cd.
    >
    >D. Gauthier
    >

    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> What OS are you running on the "server" side? Windows XP?
    >> ---
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows Network Technology Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    >> Windows Home Networking Community -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    >>

    >> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:17:02 -0800, "Dominic Gauthier" <Dominic
    >> Gauthier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hiya everyone,
    >> >
    >> >I have a question about Remote Desktop client/server.
    >> >I am able to connect and to use it without any problems
    >> >but when i idle for like 2-3 minutes, the connection is
    >> >cutting off and i have to re-connect and re-enter my username
    >> >and password.
    >> >
    >> >Is there a way to stop this idle disconnection problem?
    >> >The connection stay if im doing stuff on it. But sometime i have to be idle
    >> >and don't want to logon again and again..
    >> >
    >> >Thanks for your informations/reply..
    >> >
    >> >D. Gauthier

    Hiya,

    When im getting disconnect, i have to reconnect and enter my
    username/password again
    and it bring me back to the old session i was in. Really strange.. the
    programs do not close because when i come back they are still open... like if
    it was a "Switch Users" but i only have one user who is "Administrator" in my
    system.

    Thanks for your reply, it greatly appreciated.
    Happy New year 2005 too! =)

    D. Gauthier

    Dominic Gauthier wrote:

    > When im getting disconnect, i have to reconnect and enter my
    > username/password again
    > and it bring me back to the old session i was in.

    This is normal recovery from network errors between the client and the
    server.

    You need to focus on the network: are you using any NAT routers at either
    end?

    Is either connection on DSL with an automatic disconnect after idle time?

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Dominic Gauthier wrote:

    > When im getting disconnect, i have to reconnect and enter my
    > username/password again
    > and it bring me back to the old session i was in.

    Another thing to check is the screen-saver time-out on the server: the RDP
    connection does not have a screen-saver as such, but it does logout the
    connection and force you to log in again if you have the "on resume,
    password proteect" option set in the screen-saver options

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    I am experiencing exactly the same issue. Accessing a pc running WinXP Pro
    through SBS with another pc running XP Pro. System times out after a few
    short minutes and then forces a re-login. We are running this over DSL
    connections.

    Any assistance is appreciated.

    Todd Wilson

    "Dominic Gauthier" <DominicGauthier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:614C9936-C71D-4D49-8FED-251E0E0C4DE8@microsoft.com...
    > Hiya,
    >
    > When im getting disconnect, i have to reconnect and enter my
    > username/password again
    > and it bring me back to the old session i was in. Really strange.. the
    > programs do not close because when i come back they are still open... like
    > if
    > it was a "Switch Users" but i only have one user who is "Administrator" in
    > my
    > system.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply, it greatly appreciated.
    > Happy New year 2005 too! =)
    >
    > D. Gauthier
    >
    > "Dominic Gauthier" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I am using Windows XP SP2 Professional as the "server" side.
    >> The client is the Remote Desktop included on the original WinXP cd.
    >>
    >> D. Gauthier
    >>

    >> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >>
    >> > What OS are you running on the "server" side? Windows XP?
    >> > ---
    >> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    >> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> >
    >> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> > be answered depending on time availability....
    >> >
    >> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> > Windows Network Technology Community -
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    >> > Windows Home Networking Community -
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

    Another one here! We run windows 2003 server with remote desktops using XP
    SP2 all systems are at current level of updates. This enviroment has been
    stable for over two years. About 2 weeks ago we started getting disconnects.
    The message box says "Remote Desktop Disconned" "The specifed remote computer
    could not be found. Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or
    IP address, and then try to connect again". Reconnection will not occur until
    either the server is rebooted or the "listener" is reset in Terminal Server
    Manager.

    Have gone thru all the suggestions, with no result.
    Drivers are Intel 82845G chip set.

    "Dominic Gauthier" wrote:

    > Hiya everyone,
    >
    > I have a question about Remote Desktop client/server.
    > I am able to connect and to use it without any problems
    > but when i idle for like 2-3 minutes, the connection is
    > cutting off and i have to re-connect and re-enter my username
    > and password.
    >
    > Is there a way to stop this idle disconnection problem?
    > The connection stay if im doing stuff on it. But sometime i have to be idle
    > and don't want to logon again and again..
    >
    > Thanks for your informations/reply..
    >
    > D. Gauthier

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP