Remote Desktop And Windows 2003 Server connectivity Problem

My company (A) employs project managers which handle projects for an
outside company (B). Company B provides the PM's with a configured
laptop running Windows XP. They are unable to install anything on this
laptop. Company B is a large corporation and very security intensive.

The PM can do one of two things on the laptop:

Both scenarios include the PM sitting at his company A desk and
connected only to the internet, via a DSL line.

1.) On the desktop of the laptop is a Cisco icon that allows the PM to
access the VPN of Company B and access Company B's network and use
their programs.

Or

2.) Using Remote Desktop, the PM can access a Company A server and use
email, etc.

The problem is that they are unable to stay connected to both
simultaneously and the need to!

What they would like to do is the following:
1.) Boot up computer and login locally.
2.) Using Remote desktop, connect to the Company A server.
3.) Once connected, minimize, remote desktop.
4.) Log in to Company B via the Company B VPN.

As needed, switch back and forth by maximizing/minimizing the remote
desktop connection.

However what happens during testing is that Remote Desktop
automatically begins to disconnect as soon as the user connects to the
VPN (step 4). A
"timeout" error is then displayed and remote desktop disconnects. Is
this possibly a Windows 2003 Server setting that is automatically
disconnecting this user (considers the user as idle and disconnects?-
can it be changed?)

We have also tried the opposite of logging into the VPN server first,
then trying to connect to Company A using Remote Desktop. In that
test- Remote desktop just "hangs" and never connects.

We are not techy and know that the IT people in Company B will not
provide much help. Our hope is that perhaps there is a setting or
configuration
option- or something- that someone could suggest that we may try which
would enable both connections to take place simultaneously.

Currently we are logging out of one and into the other all day long.
Thanks for any suggestions!

The establishment of the VPN probably broke the network routing table
that allows access to the Company A TS...

The techs at Company B could probably tell you what their VPN
connection is doing to the network settings...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -