Local Print During Remote Desktop Access

Scenario:

I am running Windows XP Pro and using a Lexmark X6170 multifunction printer
on USB001.

I have access to my firm's network via Remote Desktop.

Despite checking "Printers" on the Local Resources tab during Remote Desktop
connection process, I cannot print locally. Nor, having logged on, can I
use Start > Printers & Faxes > Add A Printer to add my local printer to the
network, as the necessary options are ghosted.

Yes, I have looked at Microsoft KB Article 302361, but it is not relevant
since I AM using a printer on a port that begins with "USB."

Even my firm's techies seem a bit uncertain.

Any ideas? TIA

Lexmark printers tend to be a bit iffy due to their drivers...

Do you have the driver software installed on this machine?
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:09:57 -0500, "Josh Frankel"
<josh@spammenot.modgriff.com> wrote:

>Scenario:
>
>I am running Windows XP Pro and using a Lexmark X6170 multifunction printer
>on USB001.
>
>I have access to my firm's network via Remote Desktop.
>
>Despite checking "Printers" on the Local Resources tab during Remote Desktop
>connection process, I cannot print locally. Nor, having logged on, can I
>use Start > Printers & Faxes > Add A Printer to add my local printer to the
>network, as the necessary options are ghosted.
>
>Yes, I have looked at Microsoft KB Article 302361, but it is not relevant
>since I AM using a printer on a port that begins with "USB."
>
>Even my firm's techies seem a bit uncertain.
>
>Any ideas? TIA

One of my firm's techies has now installed the driver so that my home
printer appears as an option under Printers & Faxes (port TS001) while I'm
logged in
using Remote Desktop.

Now, however, when I try to print using the Lexmark, everything appears to
go smoothly until I get an error message having to do with an communications
problem between the PC and the printer.

I'm trying to find a knowledgeable Lexmark geek to figure out exactly what's
going on.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:eek:5q6t0d5hqb2kigsdh10e0jg557rb03cul@4ax.com...
> Lexmark printers tend to be a bit iffy due to their drivers...
>
> Do you have the driver software installed on this machine?
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

> Windows Network Technology Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
> Windows Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
>
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:09:57 -0500, "Josh Frankel"
> <josh@spammenot.modgriff.com> wrote:
>
>>Scenario:
>>
>>I am running Windows XP Pro and using a Lexmark X6170 multifunction
>>printer
>>on USB001.
>>
>>I have access to my firm's network via Remote Desktop.
>>
>>Despite checking "Printers" on the Local Resources tab during Remote
>>Desktop
>>connection process, I cannot print locally. Nor, having logged on, can I
>>use Start > Printers & Faxes > Add A Printer to add my local printer to
>>the
>>network, as the necessary options are ghosted.
>>
>>Yes, I have looked at Microsoft KB Article 302361, but it is not relevant
>>since I AM using a printer on a port that begins with "USB."
>>
>>Even my firm's techies seem a bit uncertain.
>>
>>Any ideas? TIA

Lexmark printers are one of the few that have problems with printer
redirection, unfortunately...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:26:43 -0500, "Josh Frankel"