Java video on the web

I have seen websites that offer streaming video over a HTTP server without
plugins such as Windows Media, RealPlayer, Quicktime or Flash.

Can anyone shed more light on this subject?

How would you encode the video, what format would you use?

Is Java a viable option now it's not built into the latest versions of
Windows? (I'm running XP & had to download Java)

Many thanks

PolarLight wrote:

> I have seen websites that offer streaming video over a HTTP server without
> plugins such as Windows Media, RealPlayer, Quicktime or Flash.
>
> Can anyone shed more light on this subject?
>
> How would you encode the video, what format would you use?
>
> Is Java a viable option now it's not built into the latest versions of
> Windows? (I'm running XP & had to download Java)
>
> Many thanks

Most likely these are Flash based sites that you have seen. Macromedia
Flash Pro has made a lot of headway in the latest video format called
..flv. flv can be streamed though flash without the use of a media
player.. all the consumer needs is flash, which is on more than 97% of
the computers out there these days.

-Richard

Name one.

All video that I have seen requires a player of some sort. In many
cases the player is already on the system and the browser will
automatically install the plug in if found during installation.

Flash still requires a flash plugin.

http://www.forbidden.co.uk

> All video that I have seen requires a player of some sort. In many
> cases the player is already on the system and the browser will
> automatically install the plug in if found during installation.
>
> Flash still requires a flash plugin.

I know, however, these guys (see above) are NOT using Flash video,
apparently they use some sort of Java applet. Java USED TO BE standard with
previous versions of Windows, however, it didn't come with XP, I had to
download it. This would make using Java just like using any other plugin
technology, something people have to download before they can play the
video...

marks542004@yahoo.com wrote:

> Name one.

Didn't I just name Flash as a standalone way to show video, without a
full blown player needed?

> All video that I have seen requires a player of some sort. In many
> cases the player is already on the system and the browser will
> automatically install the plug in if found during installation.
>
> Flash still requires a flash plugin.

plugin yes, player no.

-Richard

PolarLight,

I have some familiarity with Forbidden's video and would like to offer
my comments:

==============================

[How would you encode the video, what format would you use?]

This is very easy, the content is uploaded and remains on their own
servers.
There are two ways to get it there.
(1) You can post them a tape / cd etc.
(2) But the easiest and cheapest way is (if you have a DV camera and
broadband) upload this direct over the internet from your camera and
their ForUpload software
Once it is on their servers it can be edited and published, all you
need to do to incorporate the finished video in a web page is to
insert an HTML reference.

==============================

[Is Java a viable option now it's not built into the latest versions
of
Windows? (I'm running XP & had to download Java)]

I do not think this is a problem.
Java is massive on mobile phones and many web sites now use Java
applets. If Bill G wants to boycot Java (because his company didn't
think of it first and cannot make any money from it) that's his
problem and it won't stop Java from being a success - I recently
bought an HP laptop - Java came preinstalled.

==============================

[Most likely these are Flash based sites that you have seen.]

In this case Flash is just like Windows Media Player / Real Player
etc.
The problem these have is that you need the specific application
software resident on your system before you select the video.
They also become out of date, requiring constant maintenance by the
end user each time some bright spark decides to release a new version.
In the case of Forbidden's systems, they rely only on the general
purpose Java system being installed, and their video player
application software is downloaded with the video content - so the
player can incorporate any updates without the end user having to be
aware of an upgrade having taken place.
This is only possible because of a compact and efficient video player.

IMO client software like Windows Media Player are over bloated and
unsuited to delivering video over the internet.

Forbidden video on the other hand are far more net friendly - they use
Java applets which integrate into the fabric of a web page, are super
efficient, do not attempt to be all things to all people, are portable
over different platforms (Mac, Linux.. ), and are distributed over
HTTP which means it goes through firewalls.

There are other Java video companies but none come close to offering
the level of sophistication and breadth.

Hope this helps.

To add just another thought.

The systems Forbidden provide - I have observed from reading their web
site / published literature - are built with a certain vision in mind
where video is as common as text or still images - in order to acheive
this they have taken a view of the problem from one end to the other -
and tried to make the whole process as seemless and easy to use as
possible.

The approach of products like Windows Media Player etc. focus on one
thing only - the playing of media - and in this respect they only
solve one small piece of the puzzle of publishing video on the
internet. Consequently any solution that relies on this mentality can
appear fragmented and over complex.

It is astounding is it not that whilst software like WMP are solving
only one part of this video puzzle, they still manage to become the
most bloated and complex things - the idiom "less can be more" is well
and truly lost on them.

This fragmentation and over complexity is I believe part of the reason
why video is so little used on the internet today where only a
fraction of the +4bn pages use it.

Regards.