how to split these huge DVI files for burning to DVD?

I've just started capturing to digital my old home movie collection. My
plan is to archive the raw uncompressed dv avi files to DVD's and edit
and compress later.

I've hit the problem everyone hits when they first start this. What is
a recommended tool to split the raw avi files into smaller pieces that
can be saved economically and be easier to manage like .5-to 1.5 GB files.

I see tmpgenc mentioned in previous postings. Any gotchas with that?

I would like each one of these split avi files to stand alone as a
usable avi file and obviously I don't want any compression. I just want
a sequence of lots of smaller avi files.

btw, nospam really is a valid id if anyone wants to respond directly.
Funny how I don't get much spam there. :-)

tks
don
3 answers Last reply
More about split huge files burning

    Well, that operating system that everyone loves to hate lets you
    memory-map arbitrarily-large files and quite trivially manage them
    into smaller chunks. If the program is careful to pick cluster
    boundaries, I think that no disk activity would result, except for
    file-table entries. So not counting some little GUI, the program
    you're looking for is a nothing. Post again if you don't find one.

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:30:52 -0600, don <nospam@wtez.net> wrote:

    >I've just started capturing to digital my old home movie collection. My
    >plan is to archive the raw uncompressed dv avi files to DVD's and edit
    >and compress later.
    >
    >I've hit the problem everyone hits when they first start this. What is
    >a recommended tool to split the raw avi files into smaller pieces that
    >can be saved economically and be easier to manage like .5-to 1.5 GB files.

    Just use VirtualDub and select to save 18 minute chunks of the
    AVI file using direct video and audio copying.

    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

    don wrote:
    > I've just started capturing to digital my old home movie collection.
    My
    > plan is to archive the raw uncompressed dv avi files to DVD's and
    edit
    > and compress later.
    >
    > I've hit the problem everyone hits when they first start this. What
    is
    > a recommended tool to split the raw avi files into smaller pieces
    that
    > can be saved economically and be easier to manage like .5-to 1.5 GB
    files.

    > I see tmpgenc mentioned in previous postings. Any gotchas with that?
    >
    > I would like each one of these split avi files to stand alone as a
    > usable avi file and obviously I don't want any compression. I just
    want
    > a sequence of lots of smaller avi files.
    >
    > btw, nospam really is a valid id if anyone wants to respond directly.

    > Funny how I don't get much spam there. :-)
    >
    > tks
    > don

    Do a google for 'File Splitter' and you'll find a bunch of no-frills
    tools that do the simple job of chopping and rejoining files.

Tuner Cards DVD AVI Graphics