Choppy mpg1

I'm trying to figure out the new 3.2GHz P4 Dell with 1GB RAM and an ATI
PCI-Express video card with 128MB RAM can't play mpg1 files without
stuttering/choppiness. My old 2.8GHz P4 with an ATI AGP Radeon 9200 plays
the files just fine. Mpg1 is the oldest, lowest res movie file and this new
screaming machine can't play them smoothly. I had Dell replace the video
card and it made no difference. Any ideas? If this isn't the right
newsgroup, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!

On 2/6/2005, Kent McPherson managed to type:
> I'm trying to figure out the new 3.2GHz P4 Dell with 1GB RAM and an ATI
> PCI-Express video card with 128MB RAM can't play mpg1 files without
> stuttering/choppiness. My old 2.8GHz P4 with an ATI AGP Radeon 9200 plays
> the files just fine. Mpg1 is the oldest, lowest res movie file and this new
> screaming machine can't play them smoothly. I had Dell replace the video
> card and it made no difference. Any ideas? If this isn't the right
> newsgroup, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!

Have you (or the Dell techs) looked into DMA? If your hard drives are
in PIO mode, they get pretty slow.

On my computer, I have to bring up the Intel Application Accelerator to
check this; YMMV.

I thought it was right click My computer, choose Properties, Hardware,
Device Manager, Disk Drives, and finally the drive where your video is
(or choose DVD drives if that's where the video is), but that doesn't
work here...

HTH,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

I'll check. If I don't have the Intel App Acc, is there another way to
check?

"Gene E. Bloch" <spamfree@nobody.invalid> wrote in message
> On 2/6/2005, Kent McPherson managed to type:
> > I'm trying to figure out the new 3.2GHz P4 Dell with 1GB RAM and an ATI
> > PCI-Express video card with 128MB RAM can't play mpg1 files without
> > stuttering/choppiness. My old 2.8GHz P4 with an ATI AGP Radeon 9200
plays
> > the files just fine. Mpg1 is the oldest, lowest res movie file and this
new
> > screaming machine can't play them smoothly. I had Dell replace the video
> > card and it made no difference. Any ideas? If this isn't the right
> > newsgroup, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!
>
> Have you (or the Dell techs) looked into DMA? If your hard drives are
> in PIO mode, they get pretty slow.
>
> On my computer, I have to bring up the Intel Application Accelerator to
> check this; YMMV.
>
> I thought it was right click My computer, choose Properties, Hardware,
> Device Manager, Disk Drives, and finally the drive where your video is
> (or choose DVD drives if that's where the video is), but that doesn't
> work here...
>
> HTH,
> Gino
>
> --
> Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
> letters617blochg3251
> (replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom")

A later post by someone else in this NG pointed out something that was
im0pplicit in my post here. Of course, I didn't know it either :)

If you don't have the Intel S/W, use the other method I mentioned
(right click my computer, etc...). It fails on my computer because the
Intel program suppresses it.

The poster was Mike Kujbida, in Message-ID
<36od5pF4jkd5cU1@individual.net> at 21:37 6 Feb 2005 (PST).

Mike suggested this:
"Try the solutions at http://www.vasst.com/training/vegasfaq.htm
Even though it's a Vegas site, the solutions to dropped frame issues
are
applicable to almost any NLE.
The odds are pretty good that it's a DMA issue and the first two
paragraphs
spell out the solution.
The 2nd paragraph may apply in your case."

"Your case" meant that it was a Dell (sound familiar?).

Caution: it took a me minute or two to find the particular advice on
the site.

HTH
Gino

On 2/7/2005, Kent McPherson managed to type:
> I'll check. If I don't have the Intel App Acc, is there another way to
> check?
>
> "Gene E. Bloch" <spamfree@nobody.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 2/6/2005, Kent McPherson managed to type:
>>> I'm trying to figure out the new 3.2GHz P4 Dell with 1GB RAM and an ATI
>>> PCI-Express video card with 128MB RAM can't play mpg1 files without
>>> stuttering/choppiness. My old 2.8GHz P4 with an ATI AGP Radeon 9200 plays
>>> the files just fine. Mpg1 is the oldest, lowest res movie file and this
>>> new screaming machine can't play them smoothly. I had Dell replace the
>>> video card and it made no difference. Any ideas? If this isn't the right
>>> newsgroup, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!
>>
>> Have you (or the Dell techs) looked into DMA? If your hard drives are
>> in PIO mode, they get pretty slow.
>>
>> On my computer, I have to bring up the Intel Application Accelerator to
>> check this; YMMV.
>>
>> I thought it was right click My computer, choose Properties, Hardware,
>> Device Manager, Disk Drives, and finally the drive where your video is
>> (or choose DVD drives if that's where the video is), but that doesn't
>> work here...
>>
>> HTH,
>> Gino
>>
>> --
>> Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
>> letters617blochg3251
>> (replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom")

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

The local hard is set for DMA access. But I'm trying to play these files
from a network drive. Again, the old PC plays them while the new, faster PC
has problems.