VPN Can connect, but stops all other internet connections

December 31, 2004 6:49:01 PM

I had to install Cisco VPN 3.5.1 to connect to wife's work computer.
(microsoft VPN won't connect) Now when it connects to her work, all other
internet connectivity is stopped. I believe it has something to do with XP
SP2.
I can also connect to my work using the Microsoft VPN and have no problems.
If I use the Cisco VPN, then I'm stuck without being able to get emails, etc
as it blocks any connections.
Any suggestions on what to disable/change so the Cisco VPN dialer won't
block all other outbound connectivity?
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:48:49 AM

Brad A wrote:
> I had to install Cisco VPN 3.5.1 to connect to wife's work computer.
> (microsoft VPN won't connect) Now when it connects to her work, all
> other internet connectivity is stopped. I believe it has something
> to do with XP SP2.
> I can also connect to my work using the Microsoft VPN and have no
> problems. If I use the Cisco VPN, then I'm stuck without being able
> to get emails, etc as it blocks any connections.
> Any suggestions on what to disable/change so the Cisco VPN dialer
> won't block all other outbound connectivity?

Not SP2 related. It's a VPN client thing - don't know the Cisco app, but
look for "use remote gateway" or somesuch and disable it.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:00:35 PM

"Lanwench MVP - Exc" wrote:
> Brad A wrote:
> > I had to install Cisco VPN 3.5.1 to connect to wife's work
> computer.
> > (microsoft VPN won't connect) Now when it connects to her
> work, all
> > other internet connectivity is stopped. I believe it has
> something
> > to do with XP SP2.
> > I can also connect to my work using the Microsoft VPN and
> have no
> > problems. If I use the Cisco VPN, then I'm stuck without
> being able
> > to get emails, etc as it blocks any connections.
> > Any suggestions on what to disable/change so the Cisco VPN
> dialer
> > won't block all other outbound connectivity?
>
> Not SP2 related. It's a VPN client thing - don't know the
> Cisco app, but
> look for "use remote gateway" or somesuch and disable it.

That’s the way that that VPN client works, we use it here where I
work. There is a setting that says allow local lan access and that
never works either. That is a security thing, that way nobody can
start a trojan on your system and get to your company site,

--
Posted using the http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Work-Remotely-VPN-connect-...

bobsimms563 wrote:
> "Lanwench MVP - Exc" wrote:
> > Brad A wrote:
> > > I had to install Cisco VPN 3.5.1 to connect to wife's work
> > computer.
> > > (microsoft VPN won't connect) Now when it connects to her
> > work, all
> > > other internet connectivity is stopped. I believe it has
> > something
> > > to do with XP SP2.
> > > I can also connect to my work using the Microsoft VPN and
> > have no
> > > problems. If I use the Cisco VPN, then I'm stuck without
> > being able
> > > to get emails, etc as it blocks any connections.
> > > Any suggestions on what to disable/change so the Cisco VPN
> > dialer
> > > won't block all other outbound connectivity?
> >
> > Not SP2 related. It's a VPN client thing - don't know the
> > Cisco app, but
> > look for "use remote gateway" or somesuch and disable it.
>
> That's the way that that VPN client works, we use it here where I
> work. There is a setting that says allow local lan access and that
> never works either. That is a security thing, that way nobody can
> start a trojan on your system and get to your company site,

Yes, I really prefer to leave it as is for security reasons.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:18:52 PM

"Lanwench MVP - Exc" wrote:
> bobsimms563 wrote:
> > "Lanwench MVP - Exc" wrote:
>  > > Brad A wrote:
>   > > > I had to install Cisco VPN 3.5.1 to connect
> to wife's work
>  > > computer.
>   > > > (microsoft VPN won't connect) Now when it
> connects to her
>  > > work, all
>   > > > other internet connectivity is stopped. I
> believe it has
>  > > something
>   > > > to do with XP SP2.
>   > > > I can also connect to my work using the
> Microsoft VPN and
>  > > have no
>   > > > problems. If I use the Cisco VPN, then I'm
> stuck without
>  > > being able
>   > > > to get emails, etc as it blocks any
> connections.
>   > > > Any suggestions on what to disable/change
> so the Cisco VPN
>  > > dialer
>   > > > won't block all other outbound
> connectivity?
>  > >
>  > > Not SP2 related. It's a VPN client thing - don't
> know the
>  > > Cisco app, but
>  > > look for "use remote gateway" or somesuch and
> disable it.
> >
> > That's the way that that VPN client works, we use it here
> where I
> > work. There is a setting that says allow local lan access
> and that
> > never works either. That is a security thing, that way
> nobody can
> > start a trojan on your system and get to your company site,
>
> Yes, I really prefer to leave it as is for security reasons.

I like the security but would like to have local lan access. Oh well,
I can always wait until I sign off.

--
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=751465
!