Desperate Question: Recording time display

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello All,

First of all sorry for this newbie question:

I have a new DVD camera (Sony Handycam DCR-DVD201E) which I like and
although it is not the best it serves its purpose for my family
recordings. The recorder encodes the recs in mpeg2 (as far as I can
tell).

The problem I have is that the software to download the recordings from
the camera does not put the time of the recording into the attributes
of the file it creates on the disc, therefore I have to rename the
files manually with data I read from the screen of the PIXELA software
(shipped with the camera). I was not able to find anything better yet
and to make things even worse, the PIXELA software sometimes even
displays wrong time on the thumbnails so I need to even crosscheck with
the camera thumbnail display.

QUESTION 1: Am I doing something wrong, i.e. is there a way to solve
this by reading the manual properly? :)
QUESTION 2: If not is there a way to extract the date and time of the
recording from the MPG file itself (assuming that the recorder encodes
it and that the MPG format bears such information)

Thanks a lot for your help -- I am really desperate now having to
rename every sequence I make (I have two children and you can imagine
how many recordings one gets :)

Tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello Group,

Since noone has posted a comment to my question I assume there is no
answer to my problem or I explained it in too a complicated way. :)

Thanks anyway.

ToM

I did not see your original post, sorry. I take it from your heading you
want to capture the timecode, date time stamp, etc. displayed on your
camcorders' LCD screen. From my experience this is not displayed over the
1394 which transfers the video direct from the tape, while the LCD shows an
overlay of this data on the screen. If you use the analog output for capture
this data should show up in your video captures.

If it is just the time date stamp you want you should turn this on before
the recording of the material on the tape, and that will show up in your
captures. If you want to display timecode on the video for security reasons
on tapes presented to clients for approval, this is done in the NLE software
if that function is present. The Canopus Edius editing software has this
function and comes in handy for presenting final product to clients and
ensures payment for your efforts, since they wouldn't want to display a
project with that nagging timecode always present.

Some of the hardware editing cards offer this function as well. My DVRexRT
has it, and I believe the DVStorm does too. I am not sure about the Matrox
RT.X10 and X100, though I would assume it is there since it is so useful to
editors. Perhaps some of the others here on the forum could clarify whether
programs such as Vegas have add/removable display of timecode overlay
somewhere as well.

Digital Video Solutions wrote:
> I did not see your original post, sorry. I take it from your heading
> you want to capture the timecode, date time stamp, etc. displayed on
> your camcorders' LCD screen. From my experience this is not displayed
> over the 1394 which transfers the video direct from the tape, while
> the LCD shows an overlay of this data on the screen. If you use the
> analog output for capture this data should show up in your video
> captures.
>
> If it is just the time date stamp you want you should turn this on
> before the recording of the material on the tape, and that will show
> up in your captures. If you want to display timecode on the video for
> security reasons on tapes presented to clients for approval, this is
> done in the NLE software if that function is present. The Canopus
> Edius editing software has this function and comes in handy for
> presenting final product to clients and ensures payment for your
> efforts, since they wouldn't want to display a project with that
> nagging timecode always present.
>
> Some of the hardware editing cards offer this function as well. My
> DVRexRT has it, and I believe the DVStorm does too. I am not sure
> about the Matrox RT.X10 and X100, though I would assume it is there
> since it is so useful to editors. Perhaps some of the others here on
> the forum could clarify whether programs such as Vegas have
> add/removable display of timecode overlay somewhere as well.
>
> "ToM" <tomas.markus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Group,
>>
>> Since noone has posted a comment to my question I assume there is no
>> answer to my problem or I explained it in too a complicated way. :)
>>
>> Thanks anyway.
>>
>> ToM

I did not see your original post either, but check this out and see if it
meets your needs.

I am quite satisfied with it.

http://dts8888.com/index.htm

--
I am 3 of 10. Prepare to be assimilated.