No longer able to connect

January 2, 2005 9:15:01 PM

I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2 the
other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these computers
to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that I
can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have Port
3389 open.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Mike

More about : longer connect

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:08:03 AM

Are you sure the public IP address of the PC your trying to connect to did not change?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2 the
> other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these computers
> to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that I
> can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have Port
> 3389 open.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Mike
January 3, 2005 6:13:03 PM

It has changed but I have used the new address. I thought that it might be a
port issue. That perhaps Comcast had a blanket block on that port. They say
no; and I tried a different access port and no luck.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Are you sure the public IP address of the PC your trying to connect to did not change?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2 the
> > other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these computers
> > to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that I
> > can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have Port
> > 3389 open.
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> > Mike

January 4, 2005 7:21:53 AM

Can you verify that Remote Desktop is still enabled and running on the PC you want to connect to?
Can you test access to that PC over its local LAN from another PC on the same LAN? If you can then
recheck your router port forwarding again.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

--

> It has changed but I have used the new address. I thought that it might be a
> port issue. That perhaps Comcast had a blanket block on that port. They say
> no; and I tried a different access port and no luck.
>
> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
>> Are you sure the public IP address of the PC your trying to connect to did not change?
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2 the
>> > other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these computers
>> > to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that I
>> > can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have Port
>> > 3389 open.
>> >
>> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>> > Mike

January 9, 2005 10:33:02 PM

Thank You, I will try those next.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Can you verify that Remote Desktop is still enabled and running on the PC you want to connect to?
> Can you test access to that PC over its local LAN from another PC on the same LAN? If you can then
> recheck your router port forwarding again.
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It has changed but I have used the new address. I thought that it might be a
> > port issue. That perhaps Comcast had a blanket block on that port. They say
> > no; and I tried a different access port and no luck.
> >
> > "Sooner Al" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you sure the public IP address of the PC your trying to connect to did not change?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >>
> >> "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:39:04 PM

Try rolling back termsrv.dll in the systm32 directory. It fixed the problem
for me.

The one I went back to came with SP1. 196K dated 8/29/02.

HTH,

Chad

"MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2
>the
> other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these
> computers
> to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that
> can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have
> Port
> 3389 open.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Mike
January 23, 2005 7:23:04 PM

How would this have changed and how would I roll it back?

Also, I am able to connect within my home network from SP2 machine to SP1
machine.
I've tried changing the port that the host is listening on to 4500 with no
luck.

Is there a way maybe to uninstall remote desktop and reinstall to try to
repair the issue?

Thanks, Mike