No longer able to connect

I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2 the
other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these computers
to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that I
can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have Port
3389 open.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Mike
6 answers Last reply
More about longer connect

    Are you sure the public IP address of the PC your trying to connect to did not change?

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2 the
    > other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these computers
    > to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that I
    > can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have Port
    > 3389 open.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > Mike

    It has changed but I have used the new address. I thought that it might be a
    port issue. That perhaps Comcast had a blanket block on that port. They say
    no; and I tried a different access port and no luck.

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Are you sure the public IP address of the PC your trying to connect to did not change?
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2 the
    > > other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these computers
    > > to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that I
    > > can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have Port
    > > 3389 open.
    > >
    > > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > > Mike

    Can you verify that Remote Desktop is still enabled and running on the PC you want to connect to?
    Can you test access to that PC over its local LAN from another PC on the same LAN? If you can then
    recheck your router port forwarding again.

    > It has changed but I have used the new address. I thought that it might be a
    > port issue. That perhaps Comcast had a blanket block on that port. They say
    > no; and I tried a different access port and no luck.
    >
    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Are you sure the public IP address of the PC your trying to connect to did not change?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2 the
    >> > other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these computers
    >> > to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that I
    >> > can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have Port
    >> > 3389 open.
    >> >
    >> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >> > Mike

    Thank You, I will try those next.

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > Can you verify that Remote Desktop is still enabled and running on the PC you want to connect to?
    > Can you test access to that PC over its local LAN from another PC on the same LAN? If you can then
    > recheck your router port forwarding again.
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It has changed but I have used the new address. I thought that it might be a
    > > port issue. That perhaps Comcast had a blanket block on that port. They say
    > > no; and I tried a different access port and no luck.
    > >
    > > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are you sure the public IP address of the PC your trying to connect to did not change?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
    > >>
    > >> "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Try rolling back termsrv.dll in the systm32 directory. It fixed the problem
    for me.

    The one I went back to came with SP1. 196K dated 8/29/02.

    HTH,

    Chad

    "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2
    >the
    > other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these
    > computers
    > to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that
    > can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have
    > Port
    > 3389 open.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > Mike

    How would this have changed and how would I roll it back?

    Also, I am able to connect within my home network from SP2 machine to SP1
    machine.
    I've tried changing the port that the host is listening on to 4500 with no
    luck.

    Is there a way maybe to uninstall remote desktop and reinstall to try to
    repair the issue?

    Thanks, Mike

    "Chad A. Smith" wrote:

    > Try rolling back termsrv.dll in the systm32 directory. It fixed the problem
    > for me.
    >
    > The one I went back to came with SP1. 196K dated 8/29/02.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Chad
    >
    > "MichaelB" <MichaelB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to connect 2 XP Pro computer over Comcast Cable. 1 is XP SP2
    > >the
    > > other is not. Until recently I was able to connect either of these
    > > computers
    > > to the other with remote desktop connection. Now I just get a message that
    > > can't connect when I try. Firewalls are opened properly and routers have
    > > Port
    > > 3389 open.
    > >
    > > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > > Mike