DVD-R 8x

I'm backing up .avi files for premiere pro...I just got some new dvd-r 8x
media. My burner is a Sony DRX 510-UL, which is not an 8x burner. The
dvd-r label (Tayio Yuden) warns about using the discs in a non-8x drive.
But I've done it, and it seems fine. Am I making a mistake? thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    I've had problems with a spindle of 8x TDK disks. One in three don't burn
    properly on my Pioneer.

    --
    C and A Bredt
    "MNP" <mnpress@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > I'm backing up .avi files for premiere pro...I just got some new dvd-r 8x
    > media. My burner is a Sony DRX 510-UL, which is not an 8x burner. The
    > dvd-r label (Tayio Yuden) warns about using the discs in a non-8x drive.
    > But I've done it, and it seems fine. Am I making a mistake? thanks

    "MNP" <mnpress@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >I'm backing up .avi files for premiere pro...I just got some new dvd-r 8x
    >media. My burner is a Sony DRX 510-UL, which is not an 8x burner. The
    >dvd-r label (Tayio Yuden) warns about using the discs in a non-8x drive.
    >But I've done it, and it seems fine. Am I making a mistake? thanks

    Not if it is working fine and you can also successfully read the disks
    you are burning. However, many burners (particularity those sold by
    Sony) will just signal that you have a bad burn if you try to use a
    disc not recognized by their firmwear. So, it looks as if the Sony is
    simply reading the disk as 4x media. After all, there is no real
    difference in the 4x and 8x discs, only in the tiny amount of
    pre-recorded information on the disc that tells the burner what is
    looking at.

    This is becoming a big problem for people with older burners. The
    last time I purchased discs, there were no R- discs below 8x, and only
    a few 2.4x R+ discs. Most of our burners are new 16x dual layer, but
    we have a few old Sonys that will definitely not accept anything above
    4x.

    Hope this helps,

    Susan

Tuner Cards Desktops Burner DVD Writers Graphics