Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Webcam c/w Audio

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 4:43:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I use RDT 5.2 nd WinXP Pro on both computers to keep an eye on my house
while at work. I would like to hear the sound in the house at the same time
as viewing the webcam. Is there a way to do this???? I have tried
everything - can I run another program at the same time to hear sound?
Thanks for the help.

More about : webcam audio

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:51:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Have you set the sound option for "Bring to this computer" under the
Local Resources tab?
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:43:47 -0700, "Nelsl" <nelsl@telusplanet.net>
wrote:

>I use RDT 5.2 nd WinXP Pro on both computers to keep an eye on my house
>while at work. I would like to hear the sound in the house at the same time
>as viewing the webcam. Is there a way to do this???? I have tried
>everything - can I run another program at the same time to hear sound?
>Thanks for the help.
>
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:51:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Yes, it is on. I can play music from the remote machine and hear the windows
sounds (shutdown, warning bells, etc. I can also see the video from the
webcam but can not hear the microphone. When I go into the webcam "Audio
Settings", the "Primary Audio Capture Device" setting is blank, and can not
get it to load anything.
"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:q2qjt0pb8ueli7t590s5qp5mm4uem2h0hf@4ax.com...
> Have you set the sound option for "Bring to this computer" under the
> Local Resources tab?
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>
> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> be answered depending on time availability....
>
> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> Windows Network Technology Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ce...
> Windows Home Networking Community -
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communiti...
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:43:47 -0700, "Nelsl" <nelsl@telusplanet.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I use RDT 5.2 nd WinXP Pro on both computers to keep an eye on my house
>>while at work. I would like to hear the sound in the house at the same
>>time
>>as viewing the webcam. Is there a way to do this???? I have tried
>>everything - can I run another program at the same time to hear sound?
>>Thanks for the help.
>>
>
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:21:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Nelsl wrote:

> I can play music from the remote machine and hear the
> windows sounds (shutdown, warning bells, etc. I can also see the
> video from the webcam but can not hear the microphone.

If you were actually at your home PC, you wouldn't hear its microphone
through that PC's speakers. So you don't hear the microphone when you
connect to your home PC through Remote Desktop, either.

What you should try to do is to set up a Webcam session in Windows
Messenger/MSN Messenger to your remote PC. To set it up, you could connect
to your home PC with Remote Desktop, launch Messenger, and set up a webcam
session with yourself at your remote PC (you will need two MSN accounts to
do this). This webcam session will have both video and audio, and is also a
more efficient way of transmitting the video stream than using RDP to mirror
it. Once the Messenger connection is active, you can disconnect RDP.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk
!