Active desktop items get moved and resized when accessed r..

My WinXP SP2 workstation has two monitors and the desktop spans both monitors.

I have a number of "active desktop" items (links to photos of my kids) that
are displayed on both desktops.

I also remotely connect to this workstation from home using RDP (with the
'desktop background' option unchecked).

This works fine, but when i next log directly into the workstation, the
desktop items (images) that were on the second monitor are all moved over to
the first monitor, and they are also resized so that they are squashed a bit.
(At least I am able to choose 'Reset to original size' to restore the
dimensions of each image)

Is this a known bug, or is there some way to stop this from happening?

-dave

--
David Gardiner <>< Senior Programmer with UniSAnet Project.
Flexible Learning Centre, Underdale Campus, University of South Australia

Unfortunately, yes... You can turn off Auto-Arrange by rightclicking
on the desktop, but then you will only be able to see the icons on the
primary display when connected via Remote Desktop...

---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:44:59 +1030, David Gardiner
<david.gardiner@NOSPAM.unisa.edu.au> wrote:

>My WinXP SP2 workstation has two monitors and the desktop spans both monitors.
>
>I have a number of "active desktop" items (links to photos of my kids) that
>are displayed on both desktops.
>
>I also remotely connect to this workstation from home using RDP (with the
>'desktop background' option unchecked).
>
>This works fine, but when i next log directly into the workstation, the
>desktop items (images) that were on the second monitor are all moved over to
>the first monitor, and they are also resized so that they are squashed a bit.
>(At least I am able to choose 'Reset to original size' to restore the
>dimensions of each image)
>
>Is this a known bug, or is there some way to stop this from happening?
>
>-dave

Make sure you log out of the workstation that you will be connecting to.
then when you remote to it, make sure you log out ( don't use disconnect or
just close the connection) when you are done. Next time you log in directly
to the workstation everything should be the same as you left it.