Need Help with DV Capture...

I currently own a Sony DRC-HC20 mini DV camcorder. When trying to
capture video to my computer I keep getting massive amounts of dropped
frames. I've tried several different programs including Adobe Premiere
Pro, WinDV and Windows Movie Maker. (Same results for all 3 programs).
I'm running a Dell Dimension 8300, 2.6Ghz, 512mb RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro
video card, transer over firewire, etc.

Usually the first 10 minutes of capture will run smoothly, but after
that it starts dropping nearly every 3rd frame.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem could be? I was thinking of
upgrading my RAM, bringing it up to a gig, but before spending the $100
I was wondering if there was a good fix anyone knew of...?

Thanks,
Craig

gprocm@hotmail.com
craig.manzi@uconn.edu
craig.manzi@gmail.com
2 answers Last reply
More about need capture

    craig.manzi@gmail.com wrote:
    > I currently own a Sony DRC-HC20 mini DV camcorder. When trying to
    > capture video to my computer I keep getting massive amounts of dropped
    > frames. I've tried several different programs including Adobe Premiere
    > Pro, WinDV and Windows Movie Maker. (Same results for all 3 programs).
    > I'm running a Dell Dimension 8300, 2.6Ghz, 512mb RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro
    > video card, transer over firewire, etc.
    >
    > Usually the first 10 minutes of capture will run smoothly, but after
    > that it starts dropping nearly every 3rd frame.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what my problem could be? I was thinking of
    > upgrading my RAM, bringing it up to a gig, but before spending the
    > $100 I was wondering if there was a good fix anyone knew of...?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Craig

    Try the solutions at http://www.vasst.com/training/vegasfaq.htm
    Even though it's a Vegas site, the solutions to dropped frame issues are
    applicable to almost any NLE.
    The odds are pretty good that it's a DMA issue and the first two paragraphs
    spell out the solution.
    The 2nd paragraph may apply in your case.

    Mike

    On 6 Feb 2005 20:41:34 -0800, craig.manzi@gmail.com wrote:
    >I currently own a Sony DRC-HC20 mini DV camcorder. When trying to
    >capture video to my computer I keep getting massive amounts of dropped

    1
    Make sure you have ALL SOFTWARE on your boot drive, and ALL VIDEO
    FILES on your (separate, physical drive, not a partition on the
    boot drive) data drive (I have a 20gig drive for software and a
    separate 100gig drive just for video files)

    2
    Read and perform the TWEAKS at http://www.videoguys.com/dtvhome.html
    (look on the left side for the link to your version of Windoze)

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Tuner Cards Graphics