Remote desktop throu a router

Is there anyway to setup remote desktop somehow that the host computer can
work throu a linksys router?
13 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop throu router

    Yes, you need to forward TCP Port 3389 to the static private LAN IP of the PC your trying to reach.
    Call using the public IP of the router.

    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    In article <12E1D125-7A79-47EE-A4DA-EFADEE4EE6A0@microsoft.com>,
    Arya@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > Is there anyway to setup remote desktop somehow that the host computer can
    > work throu a linksys router?

    If you do port forwarding through the router it will let ANYONE reach
    your computer through those ports.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Well the idea is to use a "Strong Password". Any port opening in a firewall/NAT/router is a
    potential security issue but not necessarily a probable security issue...

    --

    > In article <12E1D125-7A79-47EE-A4DA-EFADEE4EE6A0@microsoft.com>,
    > Arya@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    >> Is there anyway to setup remote desktop somehow that the host computer can
    >> work throu a linksys router?
    >
    > If you do port forwarding through the router it will let ANYONE reach
    > your computer through those ports.

    > spamfree999@rrohio.com
    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Sorry to butt in:

    How can I authorise access only then for one user - me? I can use one of
    several PCs to gain access to my home computer. Can I set the router (or
    other technique) to allow incoming requests from a series of particular IP
    addresses. What if I use dial-up and the IP address of my remote laptop to
    connect to home is dynamic?

    I'm confused!

    Access to Remote Desktop is limited to users that have Administrator privileges or are in the Remote
    Desktop Users Group. That is configured local to the Remote Desktop host machine, *NOT* the remote
    client machine.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_hzcq.asp

    So...make sure your the only person with those privileges...

    You other questions are firewall/NAT/router dependent. I would check with the manufactures tech
    support web site or user manual for help with that...

    --

    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message news:%236Hlnyx8EHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Sorry to butt in:
    >
    > How can I authorise access only then for one user - me? I can use one of
    > several PCs to gain access to my home computer. Can I set the router (or
    > other technique) to allow incoming requests from a series of particular IP
    > addresses. What if I use dial-up and the IP address of my remote laptop to
    > connect to home is dynamic?
    >
    > I'm confused!

    I see - thank you.

    Hey Al (et al),
    I have a linksys router.
    I have an SBS 2003 server (call it Number1).
    I have set up port forwarding on the router on port 3389 to go to the static
    IP of Number1. Works great. I love it.

    I now have a new SBS 2003 Server, imaginatively called Number2.

    Is there any way I can set up my router to let me RD to that server as well?
    (Another port?) (If I configure that same port to forward to two machines,
    will it give the user a choice when they hit the router IP through RD?) (Can
    you use an IP\IP notation?) (I actually have two linksys routers, does that
    help?)

    Any suggestions much appreciate, many thanks!

    Dave

    In article <6D470DC7-D453-4719-A300-88A90D7ADDA2@microsoft.com>,
    DaveCarr@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > Hey Al (et al),
    > I have a linksys router.
    > I have an SBS 2003 server (call it Number1).
    > I have set up port forwarding on the router on port 3389 to go to the static
    > IP of Number1. Works great. I love it.
    >
    > I now have a new SBS 2003 Server, imaginatively called Number2.
    >
    > Is there any way I can set up my router to let me RD to that server as well?
    > (Another port?) (If I configure that same port to forward to two machines,
    > will it give the user a choice when they hit the router IP through RD?) (Can
    > you use an IP\IP notation?) (I actually have two linksys routers, does that
    > help?)
    >
    > Any suggestions much appreciate, many thanks!

    Sure, setup VPN to one of the servers, once you make the VPN you can do
    anything you want through the VPN. PPTP is simple and easy to setup.

    The other thing you could do, if you only need to see the desktop and
    not map to shares, would be to install VNC on both systems, map them to
    non-standard ports (1 to 59000 and 2 to 59001....) then use VNC (with a
    strong password) to access the servers.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Why use VNC when Remote Desktop is available and built-in?

    --

    > In article <6D470DC7-D453-4719-A300-88A90D7ADDA2@microsoft.com>,
    > DaveCarr@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    >> Hey Al (et al),
    >> I have a linksys router.
    >> I have an SBS 2003 server (call it Number1).
    >> I have set up port forwarding on the router on port 3389 to go to the static
    >> IP of Number1. Works great. I love it.
    >>
    >> I now have a new SBS 2003 Server, imaginatively called Number2.
    >>
    >> Is there any way I can set up my router to let me RD to that server as well?
    >> (Another port?) (If I configure that same port to forward to two machines,
    >> will it give the user a choice when they hit the router IP through RD?) (Can
    >> you use an IP\IP notation?) (I actually have two linksys routers, does that
    >> help?)
    >>
    >> Any suggestions much appreciate, many thanks!
    >
    > Sure, setup VPN to one of the servers, once you make the VPN you can do
    > anything you want through the VPN. PPTP is simple and easy to setup.
    >
    > The other thing you could do, if you only need to see the desktop and
    > not map to shares, would be to install VNC on both systems, map them to
    > non-standard ports (1 to 59000 and 2 to 59001....) then use VNC (with a
    > strong password) to access the servers.

    > spamfree999@rrohio.com
    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    You can get some ideas from this page...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

    ....or as suggested by "Leythos" setup a VPN tunnel. Once the VPN tunnel is established you should be
    able to access both through one tunnel by calling their local LAN IP address.

    --

    "Dave Carr" <DaveCarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey Al (et al),
    > I have a linksys router.
    > I have an SBS 2003 server (call it Number1).
    > I have set up port forwarding on the router on port 3389 to go to the static
    > IP of Number1. Works great. I love it.
    >
    > I now have a new SBS 2003 Server, imaginatively called Number2.
    >
    > Is there any way I can set up my router to let me RD to that server as well?
    > (Another port?) (If I configure that same port to forward to two machines,
    > will it give the user a choice when they hit the router IP through RD?) (Can
    > you use an IP\IP notation?) (I actually have two linksys routers, does that
    > help?)
    >
    > Any suggestions much appreciate, many thanks!
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, you need to forward TCP Port 3389 to the static private LAN IP of the PC your trying to
    >> reach.
    >> Call using the public IP of the router.
    >>
    >> http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "Arya" <Arya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there anyway to setup remote desktop somehow that the host computer can
    >> > work throu a linksys router?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    In article <OKc2$8W9EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
    SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid says...
    > Why use VNC when Remote Desktop is available and built-in?

    Because RD has many issues - such as lamers that leave a session running
    when disconnecting, not being able to see if the admin left a local
    session running.....

    I never use RD, except to install VNC or other remote viewer. I also
    never expose the OS directly to the internet except through a PPTP or
    IPSec tunnel (and I almost always use VPN Appliances to do the VPN's and
    not the OS).

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    When setting up port-forwarding in the router, whats the application file
    name for remote desktop? when setting port-forwarding in the linksys router
    it aks for the appl. file name
    --
    rjd

    "Tosca" wrote:

    > I see - thank you.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Then name is for your information only and you can put any name you wish
    there. The Linksys port forwarding will only look at the port and IP.

    --
    Pavel

    "rjd" <rjd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When setting up port-forwarding in the router, whats the application file
    > name for remote desktop? when setting port-forwarding in the linksys
    > router
    > it aks for the appl. file name
    > --
    > rjd
    >

    > "Tosca" wrote:
    >
    >> I see - thank you.

Remote Desktop Routers Computers Microsoft Windows XP